One year on

Level 77
    Very kind of you, I'll put the kettle on and make you another de-caff ☕😃.

Americano and McVs GNs for @WizzyWigg.
    You're an angel I'd love a cuppa. 😃
    Level 55
    iIt was just over 2 years ago (late August 2021) when I moved from a semi-detached (2 story) to a semi-detached bungalow (larger roof area obviously). Just 2 of us to heat and clean. Both houses had cavity wall insulation and loft insulation and gas combi boiler for DHW and CH although the old house had an electric shower whereas bungalow's shower is powered from gas DHW supply.

The last full year in semi-detached saw usage of 3416 kWh (E) and 9781 kWh (G)

Since I moved,

Figures for 2022 saw usage of 2495 kWh (E) and 6160 kWh (G)
    Figures for 2023 will see usage of circa 2340 kWh (E) and 6050 kWh (G)

Looks like I have got to the end of any more realistic easy energy savings to be made with my setup and lifestyle. I daresay that had the 'energy crisis' not happened I'd still have usage more in line with the previous house and the thermostat would be at least 2 degrees higher.
    Level 91
    @Mailman

But you've still got something to come from your loft insulation efforts. But barring some further technological energy saving invention along the lines of LED some of us have probably got as low as we can. Improvements are always possible but only at disproportionate cost.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 55
    @Mailman

But you've still got something to come from your loft insulation efforts. But barring some further technological energy saving invention along the lines of LED some of us have probably got as low as we can. Improvements are always possible but only at disproportionate cost.

Early days yet but I'm hoping you are right. When I put the additional insulation in (circa 23rd November) we had a cold spell in the NE that lasted about 2-3 weeks into about 12th December (now much milder since then) and I was averaging about 40kWh of gas per day (majority being heating) whereas the most recent spell has been 30kWh/day. The part of the house where this additional insulation has been laid def feels a little bit more snug in the evening and seems to hold its heat better with no extra heating coming on in the evening. This month may see the overall gas usage being lower than it was in 2022 (usage then totalled 1259kWh of gas v an anticipated 1140kWh and this is likely to go lower unless there is another really cold snap).

Seeing what happens over Dec-Feb will reveal just how cost effective the additional insulation has proved to be - early indications are promising. 😀
    Level 91
    @Mailman

I'm certain the extra insulation will help. the only debate is about the payyback period!
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

The low hanging fruit has the fastest payback. I finally got round to fitting a new letterbox yesterday and today I renewed the draught excluder strips on my front and back doors. Twenty quid outlay and a couple of hours of my time. Already the difference is noticeable. The hallway is tiny and unheated and the front door opens directly onto the side of the house with the prevailing wind but I can stand there now and not feel any air movement at all 👍.

The hallway used to be a degree or so below the rest of the downstairs thanks to the draughts, but the thermometer tells me that things are pretty evenly balanced now.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

The trouble is that blocking all draughts is likely to contribute to greater condensation. Daily living, washing up, showers, boiling kettles (you do a lot of that!) cooking and just breathing all put water vapour into the air and if its not eliminated by ventilation of other means condensation will be the result in winter.

Some ventilation is usually required - getting the balance correct is vital. I recognise that you know this, but others need to be aware that an hermetically sealed home is probably not going to be a healthy home.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Both front rooms have 4" diameter external air vents so the house is not hermetically sealed by any means. Condensation can be a problem with solid stone walls, but thus far it hasn't been too much of an issue 🤞
    Community Manager
    Amazing @retrotecchie Wow Happy 2 years! That's gone soo quick! Thank you for sharing this it's great to see that you've made some savings this year with all that's gone on! It'll be interesting to see how next year goes when things should be evening out a little bit.. I must admit a long with many others I did wonder how this year would go - it has made me be much more aware of what I'm using and some big expenses with a new boiler but definitely starting to see the benefits 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Happy 2 year anniversary and well done on your considerable energy saving. I've just quickly tallied up my bills over the last twelve months and reached the grand total of £3500ish, or around £9.60 a day. That's after my own energy saving exploits 🙄😂
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.