Do you have any winter hacks?

Community Team
    How is everyone coping with the recent cold weather? โ„

For me personally, this winter feels colder than ever - and it's only going to get colder ๐Ÿ˜ฑ. The temperatures for me are hitting -4 and it's just an overall nightmare!

Everyday I find myself having to defrost the car and also brush the patio in our yard - (so our lovely dog doesn't slip๐Ÿถโ›ธ).

As small and minor as they may seem, doing these things are causing havoc with my life! So I have taken to the internet to see if there are any tips or tricks I may be missing - spoiler, there most definitely is. It has made me think that perhaps there's things that I don't know about and perhaps our lovely Community has some information to share.

My first small but mighty discovery was how to defrost the car window screen quickly and safely. Simply fill a plastic bag with some lukewarm water and wipe the window screen; it really does work a treat! ๐ŸŒŸ

So my time with the hack for getting the patio defrosted was cut short yesterday... originally I was using the outdoor tap to spray water over the patio which in turn defrosted it - however this morning we woke up to the tap being completely frozen and the water in the pipes around it frozen too ๐Ÿคฏ.

Does anyone have any advice regarding my tap? - My Brother said that I should wrap the tap in a tea towel before bed to ensure it doesn't freeze over, but the towel just froze with it too!

I would love to know if any of you guys have any winter hacks this year?
    ๐ŸŒ Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    ๐Ÿ‘‰get in touch๐Ÿ‘ˆ

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions ๐Ÿ‘‰ HERE ๐Ÿ‘ˆ
  • 35 Replies

Level 92
    @Han_EONNext

Get a tap cosy for the outdoor tap

https://www.diy.com/departments/flop...0820266_BQ.prd

Don't even bother with trying to defrost a windscreen. Fold a cardboard carton flat, put it across the screen and tuck it under the wipers the night before. In the morning, just take it off again. Whatever is left on the windscreen, the demister will soon deal with.

If you have a plastic water butt, float a tennis ball on the top of it. Instead of the water freezing, expanding and splitting the plastic, the tennis ball will just compress, taking the strain. A plastic football in a garden pond will do a similar job. Remove the ball to leave an opening so if you have fish, they can get oxygen.

If you happen to know anyone with a coal fire...scrounge some ash. Coal ash is brilliant for gritting footpaths or driveways.

If you have bottled gas and you think you might have run out, but the cylinder feels heavy, pour a jug of hot water over the valve and regulator. Not only will it unstick a frozen regulator, but once the gas starts to flow again, a frost line will appear on the bottle telling you how much you have left.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    More winter hacks.

If you have an old fashioned car like mine, where you need to physically use a key to unlock it, spray some WD40 into the keyhole to expel any moisture and prevent the lock from freezing. Also handy on house door locks or padlocks on a shed or gate.

If your car feels like it's not going to start because the battery is a bit flat, and you can't easily push start it or get a jump, pop the bonnet and pour a jug of warm water over the battery, then put your sidelights on for ten seconds and then turn them off again before trying to start the car. Warming up the battery and then drawing a small current for a short time will often get the chemical reactions working well enough to give you one good shot at getting it cranking a bit better.

Don't leave your car idling too long to warm it up. As soon as your windscreen is clear, start off gently. Your engine will warm up faster and get the heat up better with the engine under load. You will also waste less fuel.

If you come home to a cold house and put the heating on, don't turn the stat right up thinking it will warm the house up any faster, It won't!

Two 4.5 tog summer weight duvets are warmer than one 10.5 tog duvet.

Community Team
    @retrotecchie That is interesting! Thanks! - The car has an automatic unlock, but the key for our french doors gets frozen and stuck in there so I'll give WD40 a go!
    I'll try with the cardboard tonight and I'll update you tomorrow ๐Ÿง. Interesting about the tog duvet - why is the lower one better for warmth?
    Level 92
    @Han_EONNext

Here's a thing. If you use two 4.5 tog duvets, you'd think that adds up to 9 tog, right? Well, yes, but the trapped air between the two layers adds an extra layer of insulation between the two, which makes it as warm, if not warmer than a heavier weight duvet.

I'm still running on a single 4.5 tog summer duvet ('hot stuff', me...) but I have a throw I chuck over the top when it gets a bit too parky. It's not the extra covering that makes the real difference, but trapping an extra layer of warmer air.

And of course, if it gets really nippy, I tend to roll round and wrap myself up like a sausage roll๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

One of the biggest advantages of 'flying solo'. MY duvet so I can jolly well do what I like. ๐Ÿ‘

For the same reason, that's why they say several thin layers of clothing is oftentimes better than one thick layer. It's not the amount of cover, but the extra air that gets trapped between the layers.

Oh, go on then....one more?

Right. If you're out and about in snow and slush but don't have wellies or other particularly waterproof footwear, here's a personal favourite hack of mine.

Get two pairs of socks. Put one pair on, then pull a sandwich bag over each foot. Then put the second pair of socks over the sandwich bag. Warmer feets, plus a waterproof membrane between the two layers. If your footwear gets sodden, your inner socks still stay dry. If you just put a sandwich bag over your feet and then put socks on, your feet won't breathe. If you just put a bag over your socks, your feet will be slipping around in your shoes. Two pairs, waterproof layer between them....happy feetsies ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Level 5
    I usually use a 1 tog quilt all year but this week I've put my 3.5 tog one on instead.

Radiator in the bedroom is always turned off too.

Think I'm even "hotter stuff" than you! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Community Team
    @retrotecchie @Billyjojimbob

I'm most definitely on the colder side ๐Ÿ˜‚. 3 blankets and a 12 tog for me ๐Ÿ˜ฉ
    Level 92
    @Han_EONNext

I'd broil. No rad on in my room, window cracked open for ventilation. Have to shoo the penguins off the lavvy in the morning.
    Level 5
    @Han_EONNext

I'd broil. No rad on in my room, window cracked open for ventilation. Have to shoo the penguins off the lavvy in the morning.

Haven't heard "lavvy" for ages!

North east by any chance?
    Level 92
    @Billyjojimbob

Nah. Soft shandy-drinking Southerner, but emigrated to Wales now. My maternal Granny hailed from Nothumbria, so roots in the Northeast if nothing else.