Gas safety check by Northern Gas

Level 5
    Hi, anyone else received a call from Northern Gas for a gas safety check requested by EON. I can’t confirm from EON cos it’s weekend. Thanks
  • 17 Replies

Hi, anyone else received a call from Northern Gas for a gas safety check requested by EON. I can’t confirm from EON cos it’s weekend. Thanks
    No, it seems a bit iffy especially at a weekend. Northern Gas Network have a website where you can check incidents and work in your area. Gas safety checks are usually done by whoever does your boiler service. The last time there was a leak in our area a few years ago, Northern Gas Network personnel with proper ID came door to door to tell us to switch all gas appliances off and then came around again when the leak was repaired, checked the supply in the meter box and said we could switch appliances back on. I'd be inclined to contact Northern Gas Network if there is a contact number on their website, (not the number who called you in case it is a scam) or wait until Monday and contact Eon Next to see if it is genuine.😀
    Hi @flegon, I 100% support here what @Tommysgirl has advised you to do. I couldn't have explained it better myself. Also, let us know how it goes. Would be interesting to find out if they were an actual scam or not.
    Hi @flegon, I 100% support here what @Tommysgirl has advised you to do. I couldn't have explained it better myself. Also, let us know how it goes. Would be interesting to find out if they were an actual scam or not.
    Glad to be of help. It just seemed unlikely to me that an energy company would ask for a Gas safety check for only one household. It's never happened to anyone I know, and an energy company won't know when each individual customer has their annual boiler service and safety check carried out. You're right, it will be interesting to know if it is a new scam or not.😀
    Level 92
    @flegon

@Tommysgirl

Definitely smells a little fishy to me. Northern Gas are the company responsible for getting gas as far as your meter, rather like the DNO for your electricity. E.On Next are responsible for the meter. Anything beyond the meter (boiler, fire, cooker, etc.) is your responsibility. IF Northern Gas had been out in the street, digging up the road and looking for leaks or something, you would certainly know about it. My guess would be that if they traced a problem to, say, the supply pipe to your property, they would have knocked on your door there and then, shown ID, and dealt with it., as @Tommysgirl says.

A call or email out of the blue? My suspicious antennae are twitching...
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie @Tommysgirl @flegon

There are diversion scams where two people try to gain access to a home, and while one does some spurious checks the other goes rummaging for stuff to steal on the pretext of visiting the loo. Always seek identification and ring the alleged company using a number you have sourced before you let anybody unexpected into your property.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Good advice there👍

Someone did come round here a couple of years ago purporting to be the gas company checking for leaks. A neighbour up the road sent them packing by telling them the nearest mains gas was about 19 miles away. After getting the van reg and reporting them to Crimestoppers, of course.
    @Tommysgirl that's exactly the point, I can imagine the business sending out emails or reminders if that is the case. @flegon keep us update 😁
    @meldrewreborn
    Well said! That is exactly what I do as there are so many scammers about, pretending to be from all sorts of companies. @flegon hope we've helped.
    @meldrewreborn

Good advice there👍

Someone did come round here a couple of years ago purporting to be the gas company checking for leaks. A neighbour up the road sent them packing by telling them the nearest mains gas was about 19 miles away. After getting the van reg and reporting them to Crimestoppers, of course.
    The only time we had Northern Gas Network come around our estate about a leak a few years ago, we knew it was definitely genuine because it was the water company who were replacing their old pipework nearby who cut through the gas pipe. It's a wonder the village didn't go up in smoke! They repaired it very quickly, checked everyone's supply and all had ID. We still laugh about it now.