Update on smart meter issues - now I have two gas meters?

Level 4
    Good morning,

I last posted here a few months ago when my gas/electricity meters weren't reporting their readings to the network, and we stepped through a lot of troubleshooting. Eventually it was agreed that we'd have someone visit to fix things.

I've had an engineer here this morning who seems to have got them talking to the network and he's also left me an IHD which appears to all be working.

My only concern / issue now is my account has two gas meters showing, one which has all the meter reading histories and is presumably the one I've used to date, and another 'new' one showing the following message:

'We’re still getting your meter details. Once we have these you’ll be able to give us your meter readings through your online account.'

Is this just a transient oddity while the system settles down or do I need to get someone at E.On to correct this so I only have a single gas meter?
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    @GilesHoward

There will be some bedding in time, usually a couple of weeks while a new gas meter gets it's mojo together and starts communicating. The old meter will stay on your account for, I think, thirteen months to give you the historic data, and will then be removed from the account. I think that's how it works.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 4
    Thanks for the reply; to confirm, I believe this is still 100% the same meter for both electricity and gas. It seems that the “old” meter in my account had the wrong serial number associated, whereas the new one is the correct serial number.

Given that both meters have been in place since 2020 when the house was built, is it normal that a few days later I still have no usage data etc showing in the eon app?

to confirm, the IHD is correctly showing both readings and usage.
    Level 92
    @GilesHoward

The smart bit is all good then, so it's an account problem with the meter serial numbers on your account.

That will need a call to Customer Services, or an email to hi@eonnext.com with all your details in the email and 'Account meter serial number issue' in the subject line. From what I gather, email response has improved markedly of late.