OFGEM Price Caps raised for Jan -March 2023.

Level 91
    OFGEM today announced the new price caps for the period Jan- Mar 2023.

Because the Government's Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) remains in place for that period, the changes in the Price Cap figures will have little if any effect on our bills. Standing charges, perhaps because of the EPG, will not change this time. However, the notional price capped unit prices will increase, and in order to maintain the value of the £2,500 EPG figure, the amount of the Government contribution will have to increase to keep the unit prices to us customers at their current level.

Without the EPG, the average customer, using the average amount of electricity and gas, in an average area paying by Direct Debit would have seen their annual bill rise to £4,279, but because of the EPG it will remain at £2,500. In effect the Government contribution is 41% of the bill without their intervention.

Those on credit meters who do not pay by Direct Debit, pay an additional £254 per annum for those tariffs. Prepayment customers pay an addition £80 above the Direct Debit figures. In both these cases the average customer caveats apply.

Customers should note that the EPG limits unit prices, not total bills. If you use more you pay more, if you use less, you pay less.

But if you can save energy, as well as saving you money directly, you also save the Government money too, and remember the government's money is really our money paid in taxes.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 15 Replies

Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Well said. However the cap will go up again in April, the £400 divvy will end and the 'notional average' could go up another thousand at least....

That's when my bum will get twitchy!
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie
    you are not wrong, but I use little gas in the summer months, and I have a price fix for that which might kick in. My electricity consumption is down so for the apr- September period I’m relaxed and hopefully prices will be reducing by October. It’s a year of two halves.
    Level 91
    Just a final observation. As the standing charges have not changed from the October levels, its quite easy to compute the price rises for each fuel. The increase for gas in my region is 15.7%, while the increase for electricity is 29.6%. Before the EPG is factored in, Gas will be one quarter of the price of electricity,

I suspect that what will happen is that on our bills the suppliers will show an increased unit price per the allowable price caps, an increased credit due to the increased EPG subsidy, to bring our net prices back to what they are currently.

The EPG discounts (pre vat) will change from 17p electricity to 32p, and gas from 4.2p to 6.4p.

Its all a bit academic really, but I've posted what I think will happen, and I could certainly be wrong - this is the Government we're dealing with here - but I've made my predication.
    Level 91
    The Government has now updated its factsheet on the EPG, and have also published definitive unit rates for both gas and electricity for all 14 regions and 3 payment methods, FOR BOTH OCT-DEC and JAN-MAR2023.

Energy Price Guarantee - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Prices in some regions will go up and in others down, although the changes are quite marginal in the ones I've compared. The figures for Jan - Marc 2023 are also set to 3 decimal places rather than 2 for Oct-Dec.

I presume the changes are due to the revision in the OFGEM price cap (see above initial post) and the government having to increase the EPG support as a consequence. But at least there is clarity from an early stage.

The reductions from unit prices due to the EPG (all VAT ex) are now as follows:

from October-December 2022, unit rate discount is 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas

from January 2023 the discount will be 31.8p/kWh for electricity and 6.4p/kWh for gas

You will note the changes are much more significant for electricity than for gas, although the primary message should be that as far as the consumer is concerned -their unit prices are only very marginally affected.
    @Andy65, @JoeSoap, @retrotecchie, @Mailman, @theunknowntech, @Tommysgirl - for information.
    @meldrewreborn
    Thanks for the update. Useful info! 😀
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

And to save you hunting for the definitive information...

Name:  tariffs.png
Views: 2464
Size:  91.5 KB
    If you add the two GB averages for gas and electricity together, this is how they arrive at the mystical figure of around £2500, depending on your payment method.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 30-11-22 at 11:35.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Thanks for that, BUT

That table covers the entire 6 month period and must average the more detailed quarterly rates published within the link I posted. So, the figures above are not precise, but they are in a nice table that is easy to reference. Its a bit like the table EDF posted for their prices back in September. E.On Next would do well to imitate.