Why hasn't my bill gone down even though the wood burner is now doing hot water?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    During summer I use two halogen hotplates and a combi microwave for cooking and the immersion heater is on for hot water. I use the washing machine 2-3 times a week, and have fridge freezers and lights.
    In winter I have a range cooker that does heating, hot water and cooking so all we use electricity for is lighting and fridge freezers as well as washing machine. The wood burner is linked into the same system so does take up some of the slack on heating and hot water.
    Since the end of October the wood burner has been on so the hot water would have been heated by that instead. My bill hasn't reduced. Nor did it go down much when we were away for two weeks so not using any power apart from the fridge freezers being on.
    I don't know why my bills are so high and why they never seem to change season to season when the items that use the most power are not being used. Or why the amount doesn't change even if we aren't here to use any power.
  • 10 Replies

Level 91
    @SarahC

Are you talking about DD payments here? Are the recent bills estimates? Have you compared the actual usage in kWh rather than in monetary cost? Just some ideas.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @SarahC

Further to my last post, if you have smart meters and IHD you could try downloading the Hildebrand Bright App which will show usage down to half-hourly intervals with history going back a year or more. Excellent app for comparing usage from one period to another.
    Level 92
    @SarahC

You'll find that, from the beginning of October with the increase in standing charges and the increase in tariffs, you would need to be using about 30% less electricity to keep your bills about the same.

Your fridge freezers would be a large part of your baseload if they aren't newer A++ or better rated ones.

I'd focus more on your actual consumption in kWh rather than actual cost.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @SarahC

I echo @retrotecchie in that consumption is the thing to concentrate on. We can't control the pricing and because prices change periodically it makes comparison more complex. I don't have any smart metering, but I did buy an appliance monitor - cost about £15 - which you place between the socket and the plug of an appliance which enables you to measure each appliance individually. You only need one meter, moving it periodically to the next candidate energy monster.

The results are here:

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...cut-by-over-30

The thing is that some devices like a washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer are only on for very short times. Whereas the humble fridge or freezer uses much less energy per hour but is on 24/7/365 churning away and, unless it breaks down, is not considered for replacement.

Your experience sounds much like mine. I thoroughly recommend the meter because you find out for yourself how much the clocks on appliances actually cost to run and what that little red standby light actually means to your bill. A smart meter can't narrow down the consumption so exactly, which is part of the reason I think they're a waste of time and effort.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    I've just gone through my bills and even though the freezers aren't having to work as hard due to them being outside and it is cold and I now have the wood burner doing the hot water instead of the immersion heater, my usage has gone up not down as expected. I am about to put in a new range which will do the cooking as well hot water so it will be interesting to see if the usage goes down or not. If it doesn't I will not be a happy bunny! The lights are the same all year so the only difference is the freezers and cooking.
    Level 92
    @SarahC

Surprisingly, freezers have to work much harder in cold temperatures. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but if the evaporator gets too cold, it can't work as efficiently, so the compressor works much harder to compensate.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

maybe but because they will be losing less to the atmosphere through their walls, they should consume much less power through not operating so often. As my energy meter, recommended earlier, would prove.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

According to Beko

Can I use my Beko fridge freezer in a garage or low temperature environment?

Beko Larder fridges and static Fridge Freezers need to be ideally placed in an environment which is 10 degrees Celsius and above. Beko freezers and most Frost-free fridge freezers can be in an ambient temperature as low as -15 degrees Celsius. Always check the appliance manual or website specification for guidance for your appliance specifications.

Most manufacturers give similar advice.
    Level 91
    @SarahC

so what is your consumption? The average is said to be 2,900 kWh per annum. Mine was 2700 and now about 1900. Large semi, most mod cons but no instant hot water boiler! Gas central heating cooking and winter water heating (13,000- 18,000 depending on winter).

I just went round with the meter to check items individually, then once measured used the keep/replace/dispose decision making process. If the utility justified the cost items were kept, even on standby! Otherwise ………….