Why doesn't e-on standardise account information?

Level 5
    I have a SMART meter, associated IHD and use the e=on app. My statements and online account include Standing Charge and VAT, but my IHD does not include VAT and the app neither includes the Standing Charge nor the VAT. Why can we not have the complete account details of tariff, Standing Charge and VAT across all platforms and devices?
  • 28 Replies

Level 91
    @Mike97

It's a nice thought but maybe with VAT, standing charge, gas conversion factor etc. it's too much trouble. We only had the meter and bills to look at in days gone by, and as we still have them perhaps the additional apps and IHDs should just be viewed as something to be used as an approximate guide.

I've added something else to the mix by downloading the Hildebrand Bright App. It seems pretty accurate and is something I log-in to frequently. You could give it a try and do some comparisons with your bills to see if it does the job.

Sorry I didn't actually answer your question but maybe someone with a bit more techy info will be along to advise.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    Thank you Joe Soap. I think that inaccurate data can lull customers in a false sense of security; certainly if they rely on the app which does not include the Standing Charge and VAT. They can then end up with a "paper" bill that is much higher then expected. Similarly, reliance on a Smart meter can be equally misleading. On September 30th, e-on advised me that my tariff would change w.e.f 31st October and that my DDs would triple. However, the revised tariff is still not correctly displayed on my IHD and hence grossly under-reads. I am aware of that but how many other e-on customers are in the same position without being aware of it?
    Level 91
    @Mike97

Perhaps better customer education is necessary regarding costs displayed on IHDs and apps. Regarding the tariff on your IHD, I sent a WhatsApp and an email to request a tariff update and although it took a couple of weeks to implement it was successful.
    Level 5
    Joe, to an extent I agree with you but the onus is definitely on e-on to provide accurate and complete information and not for the customer to have to work it out; even the instructions that go with the IHD lack the simple details of how to obtain meter readings. I too have requested a tariff update for the IHD, but after 2 weeks am still waiting for a resolution, which is now over 6 weeks since e-on notified me that it would be changing. To quote from "smartenerygb.org"

They help you manage your energy costs

Smart meters come with an in-home display which shows how much energy is being used in near real time. You can see what you're spending in pounds and pence, which may encourage you to reduce your energy consumption.

This clearly does not reflect what is made available by e-on
    Level 92
    I have a SMART meter, associated IHD and use the e=on app. My statements and online account include Standing Charge and VAT, but my IHD does not include VAT and the app neither includes the Standing Charge nor the VAT. Why can we not have the complete account details of tariff, Standing Charge and VAT across all platforms and devices?

Is your meter an SMETS1 or 2 type? Some of the earlier meters seem to have a few issues with standing charges, tariff and VAT information. They are OK with readings and consumptions but that's about it without several attempts to 'push' data to them.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    Thank you retro and thank you for helping out on this forum.

My meter is a SMETS2, "Chameleon IHD3"

Another observation, bordering on a complaint. I'm on the "Next Flex" Tariff and was initially quoted quoted as from 31 Oct Electricity charges of 28.41p/kWh and Standing Charge of 51.63p/day. And for Gas 7.48p/kWh and 27.22 per day. But today my e-on app says that the charges are 33.86/kWh and 52.64/day for Electricity and 10.43/kWh and 28.48p/day for Gas. I guess that the increase is the result of "flexing" so do I have to check the app every day to see what I'm actually being charged?
    Level 92
    @Mike97

The next flex tariff is capped by the EPG and will vary by a penny or two per unit or per standing charge depending on which supply region you are in.

Silly question. You don't have economy 7 do you?
    Level 91
    @Mike97

Re the Next Flex tariff… it sounds like your previous tariff ended on 31 Oct so I’m presuming the lower costs you mentioned were your original quotes from sometime in September. Being a variable tariff, the rates rose on 1st October in line with the EPG and will remain at the current rate until the end of March when they will rise in line with the new EPG. So to answer your question, you won’t need to keep checking your app every day to see your tariff rates… but may need to on 1st April.