More smart meter shenanigans

Level 92
    I saw this on the BBC Business news this morning, and it caused me to raise an eyebrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879

Another reason to question who actually benefits from smart metering. Every time I see another story like this I really wonder where the industry sits. So many people seem to have issues with non functional meters, and there seems to be no urgency to do anything to benefit the consumer, and yet some energy companies seem to have no problem remotely accessing the meters when it suits their purposes.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
  • 14 Replies

Level 43
    I read that myself @retrotecchie but I didn't fully understand it. As far as I can see my smart meter has no provision for a key so I don't see how it could be switched to prepayment. I'm wondering whether it just applies to smart prepayment meters that, assuming it's possible, have previously been switched to credit mode.
    Level 92
    @Andy65

A key or card top up isn't necessary. You can top up with payments on line or via the app.
    Level 18
    I saw this on the BBC Business news this morning, and it caused me to raise an eyebrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879

Another reason to question who actually benefits from smart metering. Every time I see another story like this I really wonder where the industry sits. So many people seem to have issues with non functional meters, and there seems to be no urgency to do anything to benefit the consumer, and yet some energy companies seem to have no problem remotely accessing the meters when it suits their purposes.

This has probably been discussed on the forum before apologies if it has, but I noticed the Govt department for Business,Energy & industrial Strategy consulted on Delivering a smart and secure electricity system in July 2022 i.e. “Consultation on interoperability and cyber security of energy smart appliances and remote control.” Would this allow energy supplier to turn off your fridge, freezer, car charging point etc remotely in the future when demand for electricity is high. Appliances obviously with this feature built in coming soon ?
    Level 92
    @Plantagenet

Such devices are already out there in the wild.

Another reason I'll keep my 'smarts' under my control. I wouldn't like my energy supplier to disable my washing machine at certain times if I'm just popping home between site visits and need to throw a week's clobber in the washer before repacking the case and heading out on the next job.

"Sorry, retrotecchie. You cannot have a brew because we have disabled your kettle for two hours for your comfort and convenience..."

Two words, and the second one is 'off'!
    Level 43
    @Andy65

A key or card top up isn't necessary. You can top up with payments on line or via the app.

Not everyone has a mobile or internet access so it would still require a meter change surely.
    Level 18
    Before I retired from the industry there was talk of introducing gas boilers ( mainly in the housing Association sector) that would fail safe when they went beyond their annual service date.
    Last edited by Plantagenet; 09-11-22 at 15:21. Reason: Grammar
    Level 92
    Not everyone has a mobile or internet access so it would still require a meter change surely.

Or you take your meter serial number down to PayPoint or a Post Office and top it up with cash as usual.
    Level 92
    This recent letter to the energy companies from OFGEM re smart meter conversion to prepay.

Dear colleagues,

Concern over remote switching of smart meters to prepayment mode

Recently I have been made aware of what appear to be serious failings regarding how suppliers treat vulnerable smart meter consumers. Specifically, that smart meters operating in credit mode have been switched to prepayment without full regard to the licence conditions, leading to serious detriment to these consumers.Most worryingly, some vulnerable consumers have been left off supply. The cases shared are so concerning, and placed consumers at such risk, that we need to write to you to make you aware of the situation and remind you of your obligations. This is in parallel with work we are already doing on the Market-wide Compliance Reviews.
    Suppliers’ obligations are clear. The Standards of Conduct (Standard Licence Condition 0) contain enforceable overarching principles that suppliers must treat all domestic consumers fairly and that suppliers need to make extra effort to identify and respond to the needs of their consumers in vulnerable situations. These obligations include how a supplier behaves, and that they must seek to identify each consumer in a vulnerable situation in a manner that is effective and appropriate and has regard to their interests. Suppliers must also apply the Standards of Conduct in a manner which takes into account any vulnerable situation a consumer is in.
    Standard Licence Condition 28 stipulates prepayment meters should only be used where it is safe and reasonably practicable. Prepayment meters should not be installed or remotely switched without carrying out appropriate assessments, including identifying any vulnerability.1
    The guidance to these assessments further sets out that following the remote switching of the smart meter, we expect suppliers to take proactive steps to ensure that it is safe and reasonably practicable for the consumer to stay in prepay mode, which could include monitoring of self-disconnection. Where the supplier becomes aware or has reason to believe that the smart meter being in prepay mode is no longer safe and reasonably practicable in all circumstances, then the supplier should make alternative arrangements as per SLC 28.1A.
    Suppliers must also adhere to protections in place when switching a smart meter from credit to prepayment mode. SLC 23.8A includes requirements that suppliers must be able to satisfy to change payment methods. This includes the requirement that suppliers must provide notice of at least seven working days in advance of the change to the prepay method on the smart meter.
    As part of the Market-wide Compliance Reviews into Consumers in Payment Difficulty and Vulnerability, we have already engaged suppliers and sought action to improve processes on prepayment practices. All suppliers should review their obligations and processes on smart prepayment meter practices as a matter of urgency, including ensuring that all customer service representatives are briefed on the severity of the impact poor practices can have on customers.
    We will be working closely with consumer groups to monitor consumer outcomes in this area, including enhanced reporting from our Tripartite engagement with Citizens Advice and Ombudsman. We will not hesitate to take further action if we continue to see these unacceptable practices continue.
    Yours sincerely,
    Neil Lawrence
    Director of Retail
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

the companies were placed in 3 categories of non compliance. E.On Next had only minor issues, which compared to others is good.

But if customers have been switched to prepayment improperly then you’ve now got evidence of what should have been done, and perhaps grounds for going back to a credit meter.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.