Have E.ON Next elec. smart meter but E.ON Next won't install gas smart meter. Why?

View Tag Cloud
    Level 78
    I will check with someone about that. Bear with me
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 7
    Just to add a bit of detail. The electricity smart meter was actually installed by Npower, not Eonnext---I think it was installed not long before Npower accounts were taken over by Eonnext (according to a phone call with Eonnext). All I can think of is that Eonnext is not keen to rectify this (mistake?) by Npower, perhaps due to cost? Don't know, just a guess. I do not know enough about this technology to argue on a tech basis.
    Level 91
    @GrahamDouglas

Well, you have a clear and unambiguous answer, and quickly! I suggest you take it to the ombudsman. Given that suppliers are under pressure to install smart meters I must say I'm surprised, although I do think that smart gas meters have less in the way of customers benefits than their electricity counter parts ( and as a sceptic, even those are minor in relation to the costs). My gas supply supports a boiler, a flueless gas fire (100% efficient!) and the hob/oven combo. I can't see that a smart meter will aid in cutting consumption - other than by killing me off when the daily cost is highlighted - as I know my consumption is directly driving my bills.

I note in your initial post that you had asked for both meters to go smart, but E.On Next only installed the electricity one. So the excuse given now doesn't explain why they didn't do both at the start of this epic saga. what excuse was proffered at the time?

This adds to the list of business decisions that E.On next is taking that do not meet customer expectations - fitting economy 7 (not) and fitting credit meters in place of prepayment meters (not) also come to mind. Perhaps as the largest supply company they can afford to lose a few customers, and the oft quoted claim that suppliers are losing money at present might be behind the policy.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 7
    I was a bit hazy/unsure of the date when the electricity smart meter was actually installed --- and who installed it (Npower or Eonnext). Apologies for my initial omission of detail/clarification.
    Level 91
    @GrahamDouglas

I have some information that is relevant.

E.On Next does have the ability, in some cases, to fit gas smart meters where the electric is already smart. This functionality came into play a few months ago, however, it completely depends on how the account is set up in the system. It appears that some customers who were migrated, have separate accounts for their gas and electric and E.On Next can't combine them into a dual fuel account at the moment. Although customers can merge accounts that apparently isn't quite the same thing.

Work behind the scenes to rectify this omission is ongoing, so don't give up hope of achieving your aim - but not just yet. But it's a more nuanced position than your complaint elicited.
    Level 1
    i have elec supplied by eon and gas by So. have just had elec smart meter installed and So offering to do so. you will have to split the supplies to get the gas meter smart it would seem. seems daft but there you go. but dont know if they can share comms. probably not.
    Last edited by IanW; 20-10-22 at 14:42.
    Level 91
    @IanW

Apart from sending meter readings automatically rather than manually, I can't see much benefit from a smart gas meter. With only 3/4 appliances (boiler , fire [flueless}, hob and oven) none of which consume energy on standby,and given i know if i use any of said 4 appliances they will consume gas which i will have to pay for, what can a GAS smart meter actually tell me that I don't already know?
    Level 7
    Hi @meldrewreborn

Thanks for your comments/information:

"It appears that some customers who were migrated, have separate accounts for their gas and electric and E.On Next can't combine them into a dual fuel account at the moment. Although customers can merge accounts that apparently isn't quite the same thing."

Yes, that is exactly our situation: we have separate accounts for gas + electricity—as migrated across from Npower. Previous calls to E.ON Next produced the same advice/explanation: the inability to install a gas smart meter because our accounts are separate. So, it seems we just have to wait.

At present, I send weekly gas meter readings via our online account. Sure, not a major hassle but, personally, I'd be happy to have the convenience of automatic data upload—and, out of interest, the ability to see "real time" gas usage data/cost. For sure, the costs is easy to calculate using the formula (+unit costs) given in their statements.

Anyway, thanks to all who took the time to make comments/provide advice.

Cheers!
    Graham
    @GrahamDouglas I have been catching up with your post.

How old is the communication that you have been receiving about the exchange for a gas meter? We used not to be able to offer that service but we do now unless there is a specific reason to do with the actual meters rather than the accounts have been transferred over.