Blank Rate 2

Level 1
    I hope that I can get some good advice on the difficulties I’m having with Eon.
    My Smart Meter upgrade happened on 12th May 2022.

The installer told me he couldn’t set up the meter reading connection as he had gone over the allocated time allowed on the installation.

Eon have been asking for manual readings for my meter. Rate 2 is not giving a reading. Just a row of black squares on the LCD panel. On the website in the Rate 2 reading box I just enter 0 so that a reading is accepted.

I’ve been in contact with Eon by Phone and WhatsApp. It's hard to get any response. After lengthy correspondence, they said they would pass the complaint to the metering department. I’ve heard nothing since.

My concern is that although I’m on a dual rate tariff I suspect that I’m being charged the full rate for my night time usage.

To test this I checked my meter at 4am and took a reading off Rate 1. I then plugged in my car into my 7 kWh PodPoint Electric Vehicle charger. After 2 hours my Eon meter showed I had used 12kWh. The reading from my PodPoint tells me that 10.4kWh was delivered to my car. It looks to me that the meter is set to a single rate tariff.

Last edited by HarrisonA; 28-09-22 at 11:01. Reason: Added Photo but failed
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @HarrisonA

Its disgraceful. The meter engineer should have completed the job first time. But it's also possible that what he told you at the time wasn't the full truth. The meter could be faulty and he couldn't be bothered to fit another - anything to get away.

In any even Eon next should send you an engineer to fully complete the job as a matter of urgency. And you should make a formal complaint and demand compensation for being overcharged and for the time and effort you've had to expend as a result of their (or their contractors') error.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Thanks for your response. It's made me feel better just to think one person is interested. I'm unsure how to go about complaining. Eon just don't respond. I'll try recorded delivery letters to Eon and the Ombudsman.

I've been doing some checking and my meter is recording the both day and night rate on Rate 1
    Level 91
    @HarrisonA

I think if you send them an email with "Formal Complaint" in the subject line that will do the trick.

On the forum a number of us (see the top contributors section) try to act in the capacity of "a reasonable man on the no8 omnibus". We're not Eon Next lackies, nor do we always take the side of people complaining. We give them our honest advice and point them hopefully in the right direction.
    Level 78
    Hiya! I'm TechBot, an automated assistant designed and built by theunknowntech. I'm afraid my master is away this week as he's away training with his friends and also taking a (very well earned!) break this week, so I've been left in charge to run the show until he's back. My master will be informed of everything I post in his absence.

My image analysis algorithms are suggesting that your meter may be faulty, especially if it seems to "crash" while trying to take a Rate 2 reading. The only way to fix this is to have the meter replaced, but as the ombudsman has been suggested, I'd recommend including that in your case - don't try to make any changes to the meter for now as my master has known it to cause problems in the past when people did that.

If you need any further advice, feel free to reply to this thread and theunknowntech will be notified.

Thanks!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!