October 2022 Direct Debit

Level 3
    My new DD is showing as £0.00 from October 2022. This doesn't make sense. I am in credit, but not enough to cover several months... any idea anyone?
  • 8 Replies

Level 91
    @VickyS

This is a different one to all those posted recently but adds to the many who are finding their DD amounts changing to levels that just don’t make sense.

I think you will have to choose whether you want to join the multitude of disgruntled customers trying to contact customer service or just wait it out a bit.

If your DD isn’t due to be taken from your bank soon then I think if it was me I’d hang on until after 1st October to see if you get notification of a more sensible amount.

Things are certainly confusing right now.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 3
    Thanks... yeah, I know. It is just as worrying... knowing how much energy is now costing ( not to mention the ludicrous standing charge! ). I'm not going to bother with customer service... tried it before and got me nowhere.
    Level 3
    @JoeSoap... and obviously, I stupidly replied to my own question rather than your response!
    Level 91
    @VickyS

Is it possible that its zero after the £66/£67 government rebate is included? In other words, is your normal DD less than £66/£67?
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 3
    @VickyS

Is it possible that its zero after the £66/£67 government rebate is included? In other words, is your normal DD less than £66/£67?
    Yes... it is. But, I am expecting to be using more energy going into winter months... and the amount of credit I have ( £137 & billing is up to date ) will not cover all of the cost ( my DD was £59 ). Thanks...
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn

Good point… and one that escaped me. Every day’s a school day.
    Level 91
    @VickyS

Whether you DD is high, low or in between, in the end you only pay for the energy you use. If you pay too little for a period, then the next DD review will claw a bit extra back. Being in debit on your energy account should be perfectly normal 50% of the time when prices are stable. Its only because prices are up so much (double last winter) that the reviews now all tend to be upwards, and its a bad time just before the peak consumption period to be putting up direct debits. But if household budgets are stretched (and most are) then paying upon receipt of the bill is going to be especially hard when the bills land just after a peak expenditure period like Christmas.

That why fixed Direct debits, if properly computed, are sensible for most people.
    Level 3
    @VickyS

Whether you DD is high, low or in between, in the end you only pay for the energy you use. If you pay too little for a period, then the next DD review will claw a bit extra back. Being in debit on your energy account should be perfectly normal 50% of the time when prices are stable. Its only because prices are up so much (double last winter) that the reviews now all tend to be upwards, and its a bad time just before the peak consumption period to be putting up direct debits. But if household budgets are stretched (and most are) then paying upon receipt of the bill is going to be especially hard when the bills land just after a peak expenditure period like Christmas.

That why fixed Direct debits, if properly computed, are sensible for most people.

Absolutely get that. The cost of my usage has basically double from last year ( £20 - £25 for months, this year £40 - £45 for same period ). I was expecting ( inc. the new increase Oct '22 ) to be hitting around the £70 mark for October, increasing to an average of £140 each month for Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb - depending on the weather!! My initial concern was the there was an issue with e-on setting the new DD... I had understood, from what I had read, that the government rebate would be credited after user's DD had been taken - showing as a credit... not as a deduction from the expected amount. Think if there is no debit taken on the expected date this October, I will make a payment anyway... whilst I like the idea of the cost being covered... it just isn't realistic and will land me in debt, which I just cannot afford. Thanks, much appreciated! ( btw, I don't like smart meters either... don't see the point, I know exactly what I use... and where I use it. )