Increased direct debit by 200%

Level 2
    Eon have emailed to say my direct debit will increase from£151 to £406
    they say my estimated annual usage to 20th sept 22 is £4600 increasing to £7500 from October. My actual usage upto 12th sept is £1700 and i am £500 in credit.
    i have emailed and whatsapp messaged but no response.
    Anyone else had this happen?
  • 11 Replies

Level 1
    @Angi123, yes, this is the second time this has happened to me this year. I am in credit of £721. I have sent several emails and am still waiting for a detailed response. They are obviously banking our money and getting interest on it. Totally fed up with wasting time on the phone and getting nowhere. I have sent an email to the complaints department this evening. I will try to call again tomorrow.
    Level 91
    Your posts are meaningless to the rest of us without some important details.
    These are forecast usage for both fuels, region you live in, tariff name if you are not on the variable tariff and credit or debit balance on your account. Prices have gone up lot this year and Direct Debits need to do the same. Suppliers are not out to rob you, but they don’t want you building up a big debt to them.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 43
    Hi @Angi123

You need to look at what you have used over the last year in kWh and compare that to what eon-next are forecasting you're going to use in kWh. If this is reasonably accurate then the difference is almost certainly due to increases in unit prices and standing charges. Comparing £'s is pointless to be honest because prices have increased so much and it hides changes in use.

Have you just been on or coming off a fixed tariff? This could explain it, for example the price of my gas will have almost tripled from July.

Mistakes happen but from my own experience eon-next have been accurate with my energy forecasts and setting my direct debits.
    Level 1
    @Angi123 yes this has happened to me too and I don't know what to do because my wages don't cover rent and council tax plus other bills and now they want to take £456. Direct debit from £79. It's a joke😡
    Level 2
    I am in a variable tarif in Yorkshire and in credit by£575. My issue is that eon have estimated my usage up to 30th Sept as been £4600 for both gas and electric. I have actually used less than £2000 since 1st Sept 21 - 12th sept 22 - Pretty sure i wont use £2600 in 18 days.
    Level 43
    I am in a variable tarif in Yorkshire and in credit by£575. My issue is that eon have estimated my usage up to 30th Sept as been £4600 for both gas and electric. I have actually used less than £2000 since 1st Sept 21 - 12th sept 22 - Pretty sure i wont use £2600 in 18 days.

On the variable tariff @Angi123 gas will increase by roughly 33% per kWh for example, which is why you need to look at the kWh you've used rather than what you've paid. Also, check you bills and see if they're using actual meter reads and not estimated readings.

Before tackling eon-next about your DD it's best to arm yourself with as much information as possible.
    Level 2
    Thanks for the reply my bills have had actual readings. This is from my bill dated 12th sept 22

Your estimated annual cost
    £1353.23 a year for electricity £685.00 a year for gas
    This is an estimate based on your expected annual energy usage, and your current tariff rates, charges and discounts, including VAT. Actual bills will vary depending on your usage and tariff selection. More information about you

8days later they send me this

Estimated annual costs until 30 September 2022:
    Electricity: £3,917.53
    Gas: £685.00

Level 91
    @Angi123

There’s a lot of confusion right now and it seems some forecasts are using the original predicted 80% rise in the price cap instead of the new EPG.

Check what kWh usage the estimates are based on and see if they compare with last year’s usage. If they are in the same ball park then the huge increase in cost is due to the tariff rate.

Can you tell us what the new rates are that you have been quoted. From memory they should be in the region of 34p/kWh for electric and 10.3p/kWh for gas.

All the facts need to be examined, not just £££s.

When you take a reasonable estimate of annual usage and multiply that with your kWh rates then add the daily charges and then divide by 12, that’s when you can see roughly what your monthly DD is going to be.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 25-09-22 at 21:09. Reason: Correction
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 43
    Hi @Angi123

If you look at your latest bill, on the right hand side you should see something like below:

Name:  Estimated.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  58.7 KB
    I'm on E7 so I've got two totals but this should be on every bill for both electric and gas if your dual fuel. On the latest increase that you've sent you they should also include these estimated annual forecasts. Just check that they're the same or similar.

I suspect that if you've received that 8 days ago then it's now out of date and you'll get a revised one (hopefully). Have a look at what they've sent you and for gas for example, they should show the price per kWh. If it's higher than 10.3p per kWh then it's out of date as 10.3p is the latest price. Do the same for electricity and see what the difference is.

It does seem odd that they've only changed the electricity estimate.