Smart Electricity Dumb Gas

Level 5
    Hi I am an Eon Next customer with Smets1 smart meters originally installed by British Gas in July 2016. whilst I was with British Gas they worked perfectly. I changed supplier several times EDF, SSE and my smart meters became dumb whilst with them, but then went back to British Gas (01/2020)where they worked perfectly again. I have now been with Eon and Eon next since 02/2021 and recently (24/07/2022) my electricity meter started sending smart readings, but not the gas smart meter.
    After contacting customer service team they said the gas readings can be a little slower and take longer to start sending smart readings, but it’s now been longer than 8 weeks.
    The lights on the Communications Hub are all working WAN and HAN flashing. PWR Steady green.
    I’ve checked the Citizens Advice web site with my gas MPRN and get “Your gas meter isn’t working in smart mode.” Your supplier is also working to upgrade your meter to smart mode.
    Is there anything you can do to give it a nudge get it working again, please?
    We’re all concerned about the price of heating and being able to see these readings would be an enormous help to me. Many thanks in anticipation.
    Name:  IMG_3859.jpg
Views: 5230
Size:  25.9 KBName:  IMG_3860.jpg
Views: 3703
Size:  23.9 KBName:  IMG_3868.jpg
Views: 3733
Size:  33.3 KB
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    @Lindylu

The DCC programme runs through to the end of 2022. If SMETS1 meters cannot be enrolled onto the DCC network, they will have to be replaced. But Eon Next will not replace now a meter that might function perfectly well later in the year. If there are a lot of useless meters (can we guess that now?) then replacement will take some time, so patience will be a virtue.

Doubtless there are meters that will prove to be useless, but it's too early to tell at this time. The DCC are doing the work and they are not contactable by customers - only energy suppliers. Some might think it's a conspiracy against customers - I couldn't possibly comment.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @meldrewreborn Thank you for taking the time to respond. Because the reply from customer services said that they were trying links and sending daily signals to the gas meter to get try to get a connection, I thought that there might be an obvious problem that someone might spot from my photos. And because it has worked both times I was with British Gas, I was maybe being a little too optimistic that it would start up on cue.
    Level 78
    There appears to be a fault with your electric meter. Does the display constantly show ALL those stars, or does it sometimes show actually useful information?
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 5
    @theunknowntech Hi no the electricity meter is fine, that was the first thing that came up after I pressed the green button. I can continuously scroll through to time and lots of other stuff, etc. Its the gas smart meter that needs some TLC. Thanks for looking!