IHD only shows Electric. Readings stopped sending after 12 days. Emails ignored.

Level 5
    Hi all,
    Over 8 weeks ago now I had my smart meters installed with e.on next. The installer said it was possibly the easiest he'd completed. Both Gas and electric worked well and as the e.on app is so awful I monitored usage using third party Loop and Hugo apps.

12 day later all apps stopped showing usage and our IHD displayed only Electric usage. I called e.on and the representative told me kept that the meters are "doing things in the background" and "syncing with things" and can take 8 weeks to settle and start working.

Nowhere in the e.on literature or on the e.on website does it say this. It simply says if you cant see readings for two weeks then contact e.on for support.This is clearly a tactic used by e.on so they don't have to send anyone out to fix these meters that do not work. The meters worked fine for 12 days, so why would they all of a sudden need to stop working and need to "do things in the background to make sure everything is set up correctly"?

I've raised a complaint (or should I say e.on told me they did this on my behalf) and other than a single confirmation email I've heard nothing since. This was weeks ago! Subsequently low and behold my bills are still based on estimated readings.

I left a review on TrustPilot where e.on responded immediately to say they have my details and will be in touch. that was over two weeks ago on 21st August and I've heard nothing. I sent them an email asking for the reference number for my complaint as I wished to escalate the complaint to Ofgem. I have received no reply and that was well over a week ago.

I accept things can go wrong with technology, but service providers are judged on how they respond to issues and put things right. e.on are clearly failing here and I wonder if they don't care due to the price cap preventing people going elsewhere.

I've had a look through the various menus and can see that the signal strength on the Gas meter for the HAN (Home Area Network) shows 0db. On the Electric Meter the WAN shows a signal. So it looks like the Gas Meter cannot connect to either the IHD or the Electric meter which sends both Gas and electric meters to e.on.

There is an obvious fault here. Why are e.on not fixing it? Why are they telling anyone who reads my review that they have got in touch when they haven't?
  • 11 Replies

Level 91
    @BoutTime

If you are able to post photographs of your meters and IHD on here then hopefully by me tagging @theunknowntech you will get some good advice soon.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    @BoutTime

If you are able to post photographs of your meters and IHD on here then hopefully by me tagging @theunknowntech you will get some good advice soon.

Here is Gas and Electric. I'm overseas currently so cannot take a photo of my IHD but it is a SmartView2 and only shows Electric. I've reset this with a battery pull numerous times. But like I say the gas meter shows 0db signal for the HAN.

More importantly, can you investigate why e.onnext are not responding to my email, have not actioned my complaint, and have not provided me with the complaint number so I can complain to Ofgem?

Many thanks.

Name:  Gas.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  76.2 KB Name:  Electric.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  51.3 KB
    Level 78
    It looks like a fairly recent install, but I would expect it all to be working by now.

I'd need to be able to ask you some more questions about your meters, which can't be done while you're away. Can you ping me here again when you're home and I'll happily go from there. :)
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 5
    Hi @theunknowntech thanks for the offer of help. I am home now so let me know what you need to do whenever you get a chance. Cheers.

As a side note, I spoke with a lovely lady from e.on yesterday as I called them again. She explained that the person supposedly dealing with my issue had left the company, but that it shouldn't have meant that my case was left unactioned. I was told I would receive a call from a manager either yesterday or on Monday so I will wait and see what happens there. I do at least have a complaint reference number I can use with Ofgem if e.on fail again to take any action. I given them 9 weeks to do this now so I think I've been more than reasonable.
    Level 78
    Sorry for the wait. I had to deal with some urgent matters over the weekend.

Can you see what you get out of https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/ . I already have some theories but it's currently too many to recommend the next steps.
    Level 5
    Sorry for the wait. I had to deal with some urgent matters over the weekend.

Can you see what you get out of https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/ . I already have some theories but it's currently too many to recommend the next steps.

Thanks. It says both meters are working in smart mode. I have an appointment scheduled for 27th September.
    Level 5
    Just a quick update. Engineer visited on 27th September. He told me the comms module was dead. The entire Electric meter had to be replaced. Strange that the IHD still showed Electric usage. But hey hoh.

Once replaced the engineer told me that during commissioning the IHD set up was skipped which he suspected was due to a dud replacement IHD.

He suggested there is a new model coming out and I should wait and request one in 4 weeks or so.

Anyway, 3 days later and neither the e.on next, Loop or Hugo apps are showing any usage data.

I have no IHD either. I called eon and was told it was far too early to expect the meters to work as it takes time for them to connect. The last time they worked within a couple of hours so at the moment I'm back to square one. The guy also told me that if I wasn't happy I could move to a new supplier. Can a company really be this bad?
    Level 91
    @BoutTime

When I switched to Eon Next it took six weeks for my smart meters to work properly. This isn't uncommon.