Reducing the Direct Debit

Level 1
    We as a pensioner couple are making all sorts of changes to reduce fuel use including 2 degrees drop in heating, turning it off overnight, putting a jug over the hot tap to break habits, limiting the tumble dryer to finishing off the air dried laundry, etc,,
    but surely our October and January DDs will be calculated, as always, on the last 12 months' usage, so how will the bills ever be less?
    This must affect millions of people.
    Once upon a time we got money back around this time of year but I don't see that happening either.
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @PeterJacketSpud

We too are (recent) pensioners and have taken similar measures to you. I have also fitted LED lights wherever practicable. In anticipation of using less energy I have gone into my online account and reduced our monthly direct debit by 10% which I think is the maximum you can do online.

If you think you are reducing your consumption by more than that you could always phone Eon Next and try to negotiate a lesser monthly DD amount. Personally I will wait to see what winter brings as I don't want my account to fall into (too much) arrears.

We're trying to cut down in other areas to soften the energy price hike blow so have altered shopping habits. As an example I realised I was buying mouthwash at £3.50 a bottle every two weeks so have now swapped to a 47p bottle that still freshens my mouth.

We're going to try out our new bus passes today for the first time. Every little helps in these hard times.
    Level 1
    I think their app allows (or used to allow) a reduction in DD up to a maximum. Maybe 5%. I will certainly try.
    Another annoyance is they tell me what my credit/debit is just one day before my next payment. So they say 100 in debt, I say 120 in credit!

Oh yes, Poundland and Asda LED Bulbs last just as long as John Lewis ones at 1/4 the price or less.
    Last edited by PeterJacketSpud; 19-08-22 at 21:49.
    Level 91
    @PeterJacketSpud

The DD must be fair relate to your realistic forecast usage and the appropriate tariff. It’s arguable that it should also include government support.

its important to remember that the DD is not your bill, it’s a budgeting device supposed to help spread your costs more evenly than would otherwise be the case. If you build up a significant credit you can demand it back.

it doesn’t help customers if the DD is set too low as this will get them into debt. On the other hand it isn’t in the customer’s interest to be giving interest free loans to their supplier. Sometimes a negotiation is required based upon facts rather than intuition.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    It is the negotiation with millions of pensioners and low paid that will be the problem. Twitter DM is already breaking down which is Why I was directed here. Too high a DD will get us in debt with the banks and the grocery shops. Which is the lesser evil?
    Last edited by PeterJacketSpud; 20-08-22 at 08:41. Reason: typo
    Level 0
    @PeterJacketSpud We found that our account is now in credit to the tune of 4 times what we are paying each month which prompted me to contact E-on and I have a refund coming after one phone call also we are running our account in credit at 2 times our direct debit. This gives us options to increase it or keep it the same as needed. Hope this is helpful. thank you