Spam calls....?

Level 1
    Just had a call from number 0808 150 9002 asking me to update details on my account. I don't usually get calls from Eon so was understandably suspicious.

Is this a legit number, does anyone know?

• 12 Replies

Level 43
    Hi @MissJH

As telephone numbers are easily spoofed you can't be certain that it's from eon-next even if that is a genuine eon-next number. If you're happy that your account details are up to date then I would ignore it.
    I think that it's unlikely that they would call but for peace of mind contact them via another method such as email or social media and ask if you need to update anything on your account.
    Level 3
    Almost certainly a scam. As with any other unrecognised number put it into one of the many "who called me" type websites and see what they say. In this instance the results are pretty convincing.

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/08081509002

Other such sites exist - try using your preferred search engine to find them.
    Responders (if any) please do not attempt to redirect me to social media platforms as I do not have (and will not create) accounts on such sites.
    Community Manager
    Hi @MissJH Anasa here 👋 I'm so sorry to hear that a call from us has caused your concerned, I've checked and this is a legit number and a genuine call from us 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 92
    @ian6195

Nothing the TPS can do, I'm afraid. Whoever it is doing the spam calling is spoofing GCI's number.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    Talking of scam calls, we have had a few calls this week purporting to be from Amazon, either mentioning suspicious activity on my Amazon Prime account or telling us a payment was rejected and we needed to repay somehow.

I know it's a scam as Amazon do not have my ex directory landline number, and I haven't ordered anything in months.

What I usually do is a reverse search on the number, identify any blocks of numbers that are resold by comms companies, and then block those numbers on my phone.

Anyway, today things have taken a worrying turn. The phone just rang and caller ID came up with a code and a number which happen to be on my local exchange. We're a tin-pot hamlet of about 200 souls on our exchange code. Her indoors goes to a local craft group for womenfolk in our village on a Monday. Although I recognised the call as 'local', it didn't match anything in the phone's memory, so I just assumed it was one of the other women from '***** and Stitch' calling to tell her to bring something, or cancelling the meeting or something.

I answered, said 'Shwmae', waited a second...and got a recorded message from 'Amazon Prime'. I'm pretty convinced none of the old dears round here are scammers, and when I checked with a friend in BT, that number is 'unallocated'.

So be aware, the scammers are now spoofing local numbers!
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 28-11-22 at 13:09.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

I was told that I’d won an award, but got some freebies instead. Can’t quite recall who it was now, something I suppose that comes to us all in time!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Talking of scam calls, we have had a few calls this week purporting to be from Amazon, either mentioning suspicious activity on my Amazon Prime account or telling us a payment was rejected and we needed to repay somehow.

I know it's a scam as Amazon do not have my ex directory landline number, and I haven't ordered anything in months.

What I usually do is a reverse search on the number, identify any blocks of numbers that are resold by comms companies, and then block those numbers on my phone.

Anyway, today things have taken a worrying turn. The phone just rang and caller ID came up with a code and a number which happen to be on my local exchange. We're a tin-pot hamlet of about 200 souls on our exchange code. Her indoors goes to a local craft group for womenfolk in our village on a Monday. Although I recognised the call as 'local', it didn't match anything in the phone's memory, so I just assumed it was one of the other women from '***** and Stitch' calling to tell her to bring something, or cancelling the meeting or something.

I answered, said 'Shwmae', waited a second...and got a recorded message from 'Amazon Prime'. I'm pretty convinced none of the old dears round here are scammers, and when I checked with a friend in BT, that number is 'unallocated'.

So be aware, the scammers are now spoofing local numbers!
    They were doing this in our area earlier in the year, you're quite right they are spoofing local area codes. We did not recognise the numbers on our caller display, and when we rang 1471 got recorded messages saying either "The number you dialled is not recognised" or "The number you dialled does not exist". I answered one call, and same as you, got a recorded message pretending to be from Amazon Prime that my membership renewal was due, which I knew was incorrect. Same was happening to friends and family too. No doubt this sort of thing will, unfortunately, be on the increase because of the Cost of Living crisis. Good of you to make people aware of it!😀🕵️‍♂️👍
    Level 1
    @MissJH Today I was called three times from this number. I finally called back (using a different phone) and it was legit.
    However, this was the first time in a year that Eon Next contacted me by phone so I think I had good reasons to be suspicious.

When I asked why they tried to reach me, they mentioned it was about my overdue bill. I only received my latest bill / statement 2 days ago and they asked me to settle the bill on the phone. I said "no, I'll pay later" (I always pay within 5 days) and that was the end of it. But why suddenly the chasing of payments? Very annoying! You'd think it's a new tactic to force you to set up direct debit (not in a million years, thank you, I'm happy paying what I owe after receiving a statement).
    Level 1
    @MissJH
    yep that call came to me asking for my name, email, first line of my address and then my bank sort code and account number !!!

The caller spoke such poor English I was very suspicious and told him I knew this was a scam and that he’d 'spoofed' the Eon phone number.

Imagine my surprise when I contacted Eon who confirmed that the colleague who’d rung me was actually genuine !!!