App stopped updating daily usage figures

Level 5
    Hi, I’m using the iOS e.on next app. Up until the 31 July it was showing me a rolling usage figure for each month both in £’s and k/Wh as well as figures for the highest days use, the lowest day and a daily average. Since 1 August, there has been nothing. The app has started to tell me that some of my data is missing and I should contact e.on next so they can investigate further. I’m close to tearing my hair out as the email discussions I’m having with the e.on ‘advisor’ makes me question if they have any idea at all about what the app is supposed to do. Is anyone else having problems with the app not updating?
  • 17 Replies

Level 43
    Hi @Barrovian

I have been having the same issue although I have been getting a pop up saying that they are aware of the problem and are trying to fix it. I suggest downloading the 'Bright' app and using that, it gives you the cost and usage down to 30 minute intervals, assuming that you have that interval selected on your account. It's a good app and I think it will be a long time before eon-next get their app up to the same level of Bright in showing usage.
    Level 5
    Hi @Barrovian

I have been having the same issue although I have been getting a pop up saying that they are aware of the problem and are trying to fix it. I suggest downloading the 'Bright' app and using that, it gives you the cost and usage down to 30 minute intervals, assuming that you have that interval selected on your account. It's a good app and I think it will be a long time before eon-next get their app up to the same level of Bright in showing usage.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's good to know that I'm not the only one having problems. Fingers crossed they sort it soon. Thanks for the heads up for the Bright app, I'll have a look at it.
    Level 5
    Hi @Andy65,
    Just wanted to say thank you for the advice about the Bright app. I downloaded it and it works like a dream. I can even see usage right back to when we moved in in January. Much better than the e.on next app and unlike the e.on next app, I like the every 30min update of usage. The e.on app was only showing daily usage (when it was working) It also proves to me that the 'advisor' had no idea what the e.on app is supposed to do as she kept saying over and over again that the app would only update once a month. So thank you again.
    Level 91
    Hi @Barrovian and @Andy65.

As a bit of background, I've recently switched tariffs and my new monthly DD is over two and a half times what it was. To soften the blow I have reduced my DD by 10% in my online account. I now want to reduce my consumption by at least 10% every month compared to the last 12 months so I don't end up with a debit. To make comparing more convenient I've just downloaded the Eon Next app so I can see my monthly usage over the last year.

Now to the problem...

The monthly readings (per kWh) in the app do not agree with my IHD. Over the last 12 months they are approximately -2.6% for elect and -4.5% for gas.

I compared the IHD figures with my monthly statements (slightly different due to the monthly reading date) and they're fairly close at 1% or less difference over the last year so I'm inclined to use the IHD for my initial comparisons and then later use my statements to confirm how I'm doing.

I had thought that the usage readings on the app would be identical to the readings on the IHD but clearly not.

It's odd that when I compare my usage over the last year I get such different figures from my statements, IHD, app and projected use over the year ahead.

Can I ask if the readings on the Bright app match up with the IHD readings and/or your known consumption as per your statements?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Level 43
    Thanks @Barrovian, it is quite good isn't it. I found out about the Bright app by reading another post one here some months ago, unfortunately I can't remember who it was that posted it.

Part of me dislikes these types of Community Forums from large businesses because they tend to use it as a way of offloading some of their work. On the plus side they can be a great source of information, particularly in solving problems. What they also show quite often is how poor product knowledge can be with Customer Service these days, as in your case with what you were told about the app.
    Level 43
    Hi @JoeSoap

I only use my IHD to show the current usage and take some meter readings, but I've just looked at mine to get a months usage of kWh for July and it looks like it's rubbish. It seems to store a limited amount of data in the form of 'Week of 25th July' which is of no use to me.

I have never checked the accuracy of the Bright app (I don't know why!) but I've just checked the last two months electricity against my own records - I've recorded my meter readings every month for years.

So, for electricity: (apologies for the formatting, I can't space the text out)

Jun Jul (kWh)

93 81 My records

93.16 79.92 Bright app

93 57 eon-next app

When I read my meters I only record whole kWh so the small differences between the Bright app and my records is just the rounding up/down. The Bright app and eon-next app must be using the same source data, the error in July of 57 kWh in the eon-next app must be down to the app itself.

It's only a small sample but the Bright app looks to be very accurate and the usage in the eon-next app is really a beta feature at this point in time. They should be accurate as they're just pulling readings from the meters, the IHD just doesn't have the functionality to look backwards like the Bright app.

My statements always stack up to my spreadsheet, albeit that my meters are read on the 28th and I read them on the last day of the month as full calendar months makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Andy65; 13-08-22 at 14:23. Reason: Formatting
    Level 91
    Hi @Andy65

Many thanks for taking the time to check your readings and reply. I hadn’t thought that one IHD would perform different to another. I thought they just displayed what the meter had actually read in any given period. Seems they’re not to be trusted when trying to do what I’m doing.

The Bright app seems pretty good by your sample so I might give it a go.

I now think though that the only really accurate way to compare any month with the same month last year is to use the monthly statement of what I actually used and got billed for.

What I will do from now on though is to check the meter readings monthly like you do to make sure they agree with the statement. I trust the IHD current meter readings do actually agree with the meters but please let me know if I should be looking at the actual meters themselves.

Thanks again for your help.
    Level 5
    Morning @Andy65 & @JoeSoap,
    Interesting that you mention the IHD. It's been annoying me that the amount of electric (I'm electric only) the IHD says I've used on a daily basis never adds up to the cost. On the face of it, it looks like I'm being charged more per day than I actually use. It never seems accurate. I've tried to get e.on next to explain this, but it's like pulling teeth. Despite making it very clear that the figures displayed don't add up, including photos of the screen, showing my calculations, confirming I've factored in the standing charge, and yes, I've reset the IHD many many times, all they seem to be able to do is tell me to reset it again, and check that I really really have included the standing charge in my calculations. I also have a Zappi EV charger, and the app that comes with it is part of a larger set up that involves control of solar panels (which I don't have yet) This app actually shows the amount of energy the house draws from the grid and the total amount of k/Wh the Zappi shows as used is always higher than the e.on app. But the amount Zappi says I've used works out to be as near as it makes no difference to the cost e.on says I've used. Very frustrating.
    Level 43
    Morning @Barrovian

Have you checked that the rates on your IHD are correct? It seems to be a common problem when tariffs change the new rates aren't pushed out to the IHD. I've had to ask them to do mine a few days ago, however as rates have been increasing it seems odd that your IHD is saying that you're spending more than you are.