Ground Source Heat Pumps

View Tag Cloud
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Artistic licence.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

The artist should have it revoked!
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 6
    Take a look at https://heatpumpmonitor.org This shows real heatpump performance in various locations, configurations and types of building. 80% of the people sharing the information are getting a SCOP of over 3. The SCOP, or Seasonal Coefficient of Performance, describes the average COP during a heating season.

A COP of 2.7 seems to be a conservative estimate of what is achieveable.

https://www.youtube.com/@HeatGeek has some very good videos if you want to find out more including optimising your gas central heating and heat pumps.

As far as the costs for running are concerned compared to different types of fuel then you can't be sure whats going to happen in the next 6 months let alone the next few years.
    Level 92
    @Arms

So that implies that 20% of people sharing their information are getting a SCOP of 3 or under, yes?

But you would need a SCOP of 3.5 - ish to 'break even' compared to mains gas, and almost 4 to beat heating oil on current running costs. Energy prices for gas and electricity will be going up by around 20% in April, due to EPG changes, but hopefully coming down again around Q3/Q4. In the meantime, my oil cost per litre has dropped from around 80p a litre to around 73p this morning, with no standing charges. So right now, a heat pump would be a very large up-front investment for significantly higher running costs and and an even larger timescale for, hopefully, eventual 'payback'. Sure, prices will change and who knows what things will look like in future.

For now, they may a viable option for many people, but they are certainly not the 'universal panacea' that some are making them out to be.
    Level 6
    @retrotecchie

Totally agree, it all comes down to personal circumstances. It's definately not for everyone and it helps if you are a bit of geek and like to tinker to get the most efficency.

When I moved from a gas boiler I was going to change all the radiators anyway. The grant easily covered the difference between moving from a back boiler to a resited combi. Living in a mid teressed house there isn't a lot of options on where to put the gas boiler without a lot of pipework and therefore cost.

We had gas engineers coming who were suggesting putting the gas boiler in a bedrooms or taking venting pipes through rooms.

Also I wouldn't say it's worked out any cheaper in terms of running it's probably similar to gas if not a little more expensive but not having the boiler in someones bedroom is a big plus.
    Level 92
    @Arms

My oil boiler lives outdoors. There wasn't anywhere in the house to put it!