A little bit about Solar Panels and Storage

View Tag Cloud
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone! It’s lovely to have you all here on the Community! I’d like to talk to you a little bit about Solar panels and storage.

Solar panels - What are they?

Solar technologies convert sunlight into electrical energy, this could be either through photovoltaic which are known as PV panels or through mirrors that concentrate solar radiation. This energy can be used to generate electricity or be stored in batteries or thermal storage.

What is SEG solar?

The Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) replaces the FiT scheme which stands for Feed- in- Tariff. (SEG) will pay customers for renewable electricity that they have generated and then it’s put into the grid.
    Powering your home with solar energy has quickly become the fastest growing renewable energy solution around the world. Having solar panels on your roof can hep you become more independent from the National Grid and reduce your homes impact on the environment giving you a much better control over how and when your energy is used.

Batteries and thermal storage

A battery offers greater self-sustainability as you are not solely reliant on the Grid. Rather than exporting back to the grid you can just store up the solar power you generate throughout the day to use during the evening or whenever you want!

Did you know..? Typically a 12 panel solar system and a 5.2kW battery could see savings of up to £809 a year on your home's electricity bill.

If you have solar panels or storage we'd love to hear you! have you made any savings yet? or just share your experience for anyone that is thinking about it 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

• 25 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Manager
    Best Answer
    @wizzo227 Good evening! I did some digging and can confirm that the size of the battery is max capacity, so 5.2kw is the max it can hold, this would obviously depend on kw's generated vs what's been used to what is stored. Once that battery is full all remaining units will be used by the house or exported back to the grid.

The declared net capacity is what we would use to look at max generation plus 10% is usually the rule.😊
    Level 43
    I would certainly consider a solar and battery installation, however with a payback period of circa 10 years it's never going to happen.
    Community Manager
    Morning @Andy65 It's great to hear from you! Fantastic point there and you're right there can be a lengthy payback time so its more of an investment than a quick energy saving tip. The most common estimate of the average payback period for solar panels is six to ten years. This is a pretty wide range because there are many factors that will influence the number of years it can take to pay off your panels and the monthly savings you can expect. Have a great day! 😊
    Anasa, I've been trying all evening to move from your quote tool to booking an appointment for solar panel installation and your on-line tool isn't working and won't allow me to complete the final step.
    Level 0
    Anasa, how do i go about finding out the costs if I were to implement solar panels and battery? Is there any discounts or offers etc that E.on incentivise customers?
    Community Manager
    Hi @RaeC Welcome to the Community! It's great to have you hear! to find out more about the cost or offers or to start your journey you can find all the information here E.ON Energy website - have a fab day! 😊
    Level 6
    How long it take to install solar from first contact with eon to finish? is over 5 months now and you still have not installed
    Community Manager
    Hi @Waldi Anasa here 👋 Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that your installation seems to be taking a while.
    There’s currently a huge demand for our solar installations and we’re working really hard to get through them as quickly as we can. Right now, our time from consultation to solar panel installation is around 4-6 months, this may vary if you need an application to your local network. We know how important solar panels are to you, now more than ever, and we’re doing our very best to reduce the time it takes so you can start enjoying the benefits of solar. We should be with your shortly.

Once your consultation has taken place and a date is confirmed installations are completed within a day but some larger jobs can take a little longer. If there are any delays you will be advised once we knew the size of the system needed. Scaffolding will be put up a few days before your solar installation and take it down a few days after and we'll always make sure we leave your property clean and tidy. 😊
    Level 6
    I don't think there is a problem with "huge" demand. I just noticed eon staff don't care at all, canceling appointments or moving them to other days 2-3 weeks later. They book a phone call and don't call or answer emails until I call. really poor standard. something like this does not happen in other civilized countries. And when you write review on trust pilot with 1-2 star someone tried contact within few hours.