E.ON Next Community Highlights June 2022

It feels as though we finally have some Summer weather coming through after a pretty miserable May. I’m lucky enough to be typing this from my garden under the shade - red heads don’t fare too well in the Summer sun or heat. With so many hours of sunlight, I feel pretty silly not having solar panels right now. It has me thinking about the future of energy and how it will change over the next few years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shutterstock_86329705.jpg 
Views:	1891 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	959

You’re reading the E.ON Next Community Highlights for June, a space for us to recap on the month we have, shout about those of you who are making a difference and also look forward to events that are happening in the future. I’m Beki, Community Manager, a team leader and an environmentalist and climate change activist. We have a small team here in our Community and you can meet them here in our Meet the Team post - trust me, they are awesome humans and always ready for a chat!

Whilst it has been a busy month in the Community with smart meter queries coming and going, we have been talking a lot about the energy crisis and the cost of living and how we can help our customers. We created a thread titled ‘Help with Energy Bills’ that has some really useful advice but this may not be the help that you need? I would love to hear from you, if you have questions about your energy bills and the support out there. You can pop your questions below or even let me know via private message if there is something in particular that you want us to focus on.

Thinking about it, the solution to energy saving is always going to be renewable energy and generating your own energy, because this is by far cheaper than burning fossil fuels but of course we need to focus on our energy consumption too. This will not only reduce our bills, but it will also make a huge impact on our planet. That’s why we have started ‘Energy Support’. This is your space to talk about energy tips and also talk about some of the support that is out there for all customers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1) (1).jpg 
Views:	1882 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	960

Our own Debbie was talking about Wind Generation recently and what your thoughts were on the wind turbines you see dotting about the countryside. Personally, I don’t mind them; I would rather those than big cooling towers!

Name:  Screenshot 2022-07-09 2.48.26 PM.png
Views: 2074
Size:  30.8 KB

With energy saving and this in mind, we are also going to be focusing on the green solutions and working towards a no carbon future over the next few months. This includes EV, solar, air source heat pumps and even looking into tech inside your home and how this tech can help you. Perhaps you have been thinking about solar panels but you’re not too sure of the journey. Or perhaps you have been looking to get a charging pod in place for your new car. Whatever it is we want to hear your questions and also your journeys that you may have gone on!

You may have noticed a few little updates to the Community recently! Most of these are cosmetic however we have also updated our levels system. Not sure what this is? Check out this ‘how-to’ thread to find out what it’s all about.

There have been a couple of E.ON Next updates this month too:

A huge welcome to our 236 new members. You will find some really awesome conversations here on the Community and the proof is in the numbers. Over 3000 users have viewed solutions in the Community and over 70,000 views of threads! 😱

With this in mind, can we just keep in mind the Community Values. At the end of the day, be kind. The Community is a space where you can get support from other users so give them a thank you, a thumbs up or a 'best answer'! 👍
  • 2 Replies

Level 1
    Hi Beki

I have a problem with statements like "the solution to energy saving is always going to be renewable energy and generating your own energy, because this is by far cheaper than burning fossil fuels but of course we need to focus on our energy consumption too. This will not only reduce our bills, but it will also make a huge impact on our planet".

The way UK prices electricity today, this just is not true. It makes no difference how cheap wind and solar are, because the price of electricity is set by the most expensive fuel at any moment in the national grid, which today is almost always gas. So even if wind power were totally free, households would see no benefit because all the profit from cheap renewables will go to the renewable power generators - like E.ON!

The government is talking about changing this (see https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...n-a-generation) but right now the national pricing system just punishes consumers.
    @JonStu8626 Thank you so much for highlighting this statement to me because it doesn't sound correct. I know that the price of renewables are set by the most expensive fuel, and nearly always this is gas. Personally, I think that there should be a separate green energy grid and this is the only way that renewable energy prices will be competitive. This is my own personal view, and not one of E.ON Next but I always read the government website and take it with a pinch of salt... 😅