Changing away from Econmy 7

Level 0
    Hi,

I am currently an Eon-Customer who recently had their smart meter fitted.
    When the engineer arrived to fit the smart meter he advised that due to my current usage (underfloor heating, driven from a thermostat), that Economy 7 is not the optimal setup in terms of cost.
    I believe economy 7 had previously been installed when there were electric storage heaters, which heated up overnight.
    Can you please advise what steps I need to take to transition away from Economy 7?
    Thanks,

Mike.
  • 12 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 43
    Best Answer
    Hi @bradlem0

You'll need to talk to Customer Services to move back to a single rate tariff, it should be a simple change and your meter will switch to single rate mode.
    Level 5
    @bradlem0 Did you have any success with this as I am about to investigate this. Our day rate is artificially high after the Energy Price Guarantee has been implemented and we have very low night usage so I want to get onto the flat day rate if I can. Grateful for any advice or pointers. Best Wishes Joster
    Hi @bradlem0

You are in a very similar situation to me....

As per Andy65 reply, i have just done this today and the very helpful EoN guy 'Minesh' has updated my account to auto switch to Next Flextariff single Elec rate when my fix v12 ends in March 2023.

I do have a Smart meter now and unbeknown to me there appears to be one type for single tariff and another for Econ 7? I thought the word Smart meant they could remotely configure them to do whatever, hey ho.

Either way I have been advised that my Smart meter will still produce Day and Night readings and EoN will simply apply the same single rate to both readings.

I had always been on a single tariff even when I had the old Econ 7 day/night clockwork meter and now think it strange that I was not offered the choice of Smart meter when they swapped me over, as this would have saved me an hour on the phone today :)

Regards
    Tony
    Community Team
    Hello @bradlem0 did you manage to get your tariff changed to a single rate?
    🌳Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable Future 🌳
    Level 5
    @Connor_EONNext I may be wrong but the point of underfloor heating is to keep the concrete mass warm so night time rate with say two boosts during the day may be the most economical. For some reason Eon is downplaying Economy 7 and 10.
    Level 5
    @DaftBob Further to that Eon may be overstocked with type 1 meters.
    Level 91
    @Spitty34

As far as i understand it, all the SMETS2 meters can cope with Economy 7 tariffs.

However, some meters have two live out feeds, one for 24 hour operation and the other being only live in the off peak periods. This avoids having to have a separate time clock synchronised with the economy 7 times for operation of storage and other types of heating. We've had a number of posts from people whose separate time clocks are not synchronised leading to use of peak rate electricity during supposedly off peak periods.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @Connor_EONNext I may be wrong but the point of underfloor heating is to keep the concrete mass warm so night time rate with say two boosts during the day may be the most economical. For some reason Eon is downplaying Economy 7 and 10.

So in effect the floor becomes a giant but very expensive to create storage radiator. I think those currently using economy 7 are prime candidates to switch to a heat pump system. the heat pump would deliver at least 3 times the heat output compared to electrical input, putting the savings available from economy 7 in the shade. And of course they could still utilise economy 7 tariffs for even better value.

Because electricity is so expensive compared to gas i think most economy 7 homes are already very well insulated making a heat pump system completely viable, subject to space available for the external pump.
    Level 21
    @bradlem0
    EoN might not be the best place for you to find the best deal on the market for your use case of whole-house heating with electricity. I'd try looking up "Agile" with a different provider, which is their brand name for a very time varying price decided in half-hour intervals and billed as measured at your new SMETS2 smart meter (that is what you got isn't it?). Beware that during the worst months of scarcity a few years ago that went to 'always expensive' with the evening after-work peak times being 'extra expensive'. With your underfloor heating and sensible time controls, you should be able to get it to 'mostly much less expensive'. Maybe not so low as the <16p/kWh daytime and nightime minimum prices seen in September, but much better than any of the EoN prices.

You could also consider getting rooftop photovoltaics, as to dump surplus generation straight to an existing heater costs less than the batteries which they'd try selling to you. In September, a 3kW heater here would have got very few hours of half price electricity on sunny days. I opted instead to under-use what I generated. A smaller heater for a small room is often better sized for nil bills with typical solar.

Lastly, I'm using no heating at present. With good insulation on all exterior facing surfaces, that is by design and not by accident.