Why won't eon next change people to a credit meter

Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext

So you can install a smart credit meter (even where people don't want them!!) to replace a non smart credit meter, but you can't replace a prepayment meter (smart or not) with a smart credit meter due " to the technology not being popped on the system yet"

I know Eon Next keeps describing itself as a new company, but its also now one of the largest (if not the largest) suppliers in the UK and its parent is an energy giant across Europe. Yet this option isn't on your system and you can't run credit checks on customers. This is so incredibly lame it verges on the unbelievable.

I think I'll write to Martin Lewis and get him to interview your CEO who not so long ago boasted about how successful the integration of all the customers onto the new system had been. I'd love to see him squirm under some close questioning.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Pure scam by the company. Why were they allowed to set up as a company without the tools. Dodgy dealings with ofgem spring to mind to be allowed.
    Level 1
    Oh it's still not fixed? That's a complete joke!! I moved to my new house in December last year and been told I couldn't be moved to a credit meter because your systems were not ready to perform credit checks.

8 months later and we're still in the same situation!!! That just can't be acceptable.

Would you allow me to pay a deposit instead of performing a credit check on me? I'd rather pay the deposit and get it back later than continue to pay the higher rates.

Before your supplier installs an old-style credit meter or turns off your smart meter's prepayment setting, you might have to have a credit check or pay a deposit. If you’d rather not have a credit check you can ask to pay a deposit instead.
    Level 0
    This is not an option as no energy suppliers are accepting new customers at the moment due to energy prices. I am in a similar position to the OP and have tried other suppliers. Absolutely no one reputable will even give me a quote.
    I have contacted EON to explain that I have medical issues requiring a constant energy supply so I hope they listen to that and sort it out. Never thought I would be glad to have medical problems.

Hi. That's actually not true. Octopus Energy are accepting new customers, and they can switch your supply within 2 days. However, you may have problems switching to them if you're on a prepayment meter, as they may only be accepting credit meter customers. You'll need to call them to check this. Also, even if you switch while on a prepayment meter, you can usually change to a credit meter with the new supplier after about 3 months of regular payments. The other thing about the E.ON Next reply seemed to contradict themself, when they said that they can't accept new credit meter customers without a credit check, because they don't have the facility yet, but if you're vulnerable, or have medical issues, they can. Either they can or they can't. Which is it ? - There used to be a system when I was with Npower, that you could still have a credit meter after 3 months of being a new customer, but you could 'opt-out' of their credit check, as they must obtain your permission to run it. The only downside was that without their credit check, you had only the standard tariff offered to you, and it was higher than all the others. However, as this was over a year ago, and every fuel supplier is different, I can't tell you if these systems still exist. Also, please Google the top 16 main fuel providers, and you'll see which are the better ones to choose from. I'd rather pay more money for a fuel provider that keeps it's customers happy, by not messing simple things like billing up, than have a cheaper provider, but have lots of regular stress to deal with.
    Level 5
    This is false information, regarding having a medical condition and being able to move over to credit meter.
    As not only am I a new customer, I have bought my first house and new to the whole paying energy thing, have explained to eon next that there is a prepayment meter installed at the property, before moving in last month.
    It has a credit meter for electric and prepay for gas. I asked to get this switched to credit due to medical reasons and if I can get a smart meter even signed to the priority meter and have still been told I can not get it switched until they are able to do the credit checks.

Eon came to replace the battery in the meter and ended up moving it to somewhere even harder to reach.
    Wrote an email to the CEO and their unhappy email address and still nothing.
    Level 4
    I am also in this situation.

I have been with Eon (Next?) on a credit meter for at least two years. My current tariff was an online v7 dual fuel that is due to expire on 15 October 2022. I recently bought a house and when I phoned to talk about this I was told that Eon supplied my new property. I agreed with them that my v7 tariff would run onto the new property until it expires on 15 October and that I could then move to v18. It wasn't specified that Eon didn't supply the gas at the property and I only found this out on completion when my account for the new property was only for electricity.

I phoned Eon and they said they could transfer the gas supply over, which I have asked them to do. They have also come back and said that because the gas is on a prepay meter and they currently do not move customers, I am no longer entitled to my contractually agreed v7 fix on gas and will have to pay double that amount due to the prepay tariff being more expensive. This will also mean that I am already paying a higher standing rate than I would be on the v18 I had agreed to move onto from the 15th. When I have queried this they have confirmed that they are able to move customers onto a credit meter if those customers are vulnerable (and I completely support this) so it is a policy decision rather than an inability to make the change. My account is currently £300 in credit so the idea that it is because they cannot ascertain credit history is absurd.

The outcome of this is that I am being forced onto a more expensive tariff (double the rate that Eon agreed to carry over until 15 October) and my perks for paying this higher amount are that I or my partner (who doesn't drive) have to be able to physically go out to a shop that provides a prepay top-up service or risk being without heating.

I have raised a formal complaint with Eon Next about this and was told it was my right but that nothing would come of it because this is their policy. It feels like they shouldn't be able to refuse to change the meter as this forces us of an agreed tariff early and onto a more expensive one against our will.
    Level 4
    @meldrewreborn

As per my above post, I have received a letter confirming they won't change my meter and so I have opened a complaint with the Ombudsman. I will report back on any outcome.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn

As per my above post, I have received a letter confirming they won't change my meter and so I have opened a complaint with the Ombudsman. I will report back on any outcome.

Did you get anywhere with this? We have had our complaint closed as a business decision and told they won't be doing anything else and have stopped responding to our complaints emails. We want a deadlock letter rather than waiting 8 weeks but clearly not going to happen as they aren't responding to our emails. I'm not wanting to let this drop, we moved into the house and are now unfairly paying a higher rate and from reading the thread haven't done anything about it for nearly nearly a year. Money hungry company at its finest.