Any update on the non-sending smart gas meter issue??

Level 1
    Hi all,

Been dipping in and out of the forum since being auto switched from E.On to E.On Next and have been following the ongoing saga of the non-sending gas smart meters, one of which I am the proud owner of.

Our gas meter is in a right irritating place to read - in a cupboard, low down in a wall, behind the main telly on a big telly cabinet. So, I only send readings in every few months when I get a jolt - ie a leccy bill email that I notice.

This morning, is one of those jolts - so out comes the extendible snow brush, an old book to rest my mobile against. Then the juggle of pushing buttons and videoing the little meter screen starts. Today, it was only 3 go's before I could read the numbers on the video! Yay! 😆

Meter readings submitted, and randomly I thought I'd have a go at changing the half hourly readings to dailys.

Is that like to trigger the gas meter into action or do I need some magic button pressing to happen behind the scenes?

I do miss the automatedness of how it was when it was E.On... can't believe that what most folk would see as just a name change would cause this issue. The automatedness was a big reason for us to go smart meter as I'd have an ear bashing for weeks after the meter reader had been about the better half having to move the telly cabinet while an oft burly bloke would stand watching her struggle.

Ah well, here's hoping some magician can shed some light or give our 'smart' gas meter a kick in its preverbials to get it talking to the big system again.

Thanks.
  • 2 Replies

Level 91
    Your meter location is clearly not ideal - what would you do in an emergency to get to the shut off valve,

But hopefully one of the eon next staff can get your meter working again. If you use the same email here as for your eon account they'll be able to find it and send the appropriate commands.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Trust me - if it was that level of emergency I doubt a big old lcd telly would stand in anyone's way - I think that would just be flung out the way double quick. Then its a simple lean over and pull the lever so to speak.

Meter/gas transport folk had the opportunity to move it several times since we've been here - always more hassle than its worth apparently. Even asked for it to be plumbed in on outside wall in box and offered to pay. Nowt doing.

I guess I'm stuck with no 'official' answers then and wait for the email to jog my memory. Samrt meters are a waste of time, effort and money.