No option for single rate tariffs

Level 1
    Hi,

I'm luckily enough to be working from home, looking at the tariff's available the cheapest for me seems to be the Next Flex with Single Rate, as I'm WFH I use nearly 90% of my electricity during the day
    ​​​​​​​

The Tariff Selection however only get me three tariffs, all for which are dual rate, there are no single rate tariffs, nor do the tariffs have a option/button to change from dual to single rate.

Why are these options missing, is it a quirk of my web browser, or a blatant cash grab against those that work from home?
  • 15 Replies

Level 18
    @MyDistortedSmile

Are you meaning dual fuel or dual tariff. The latter gives cheaper night time electricity usage, usually for 7 hours, with slightly more expensive rates in the daytime. A single rate tariff (which is the norm) charges the same electricity rate day and night.

Dual fuel is for Gas and electricity tariffs - they are different products supplied by the same company.

Sometimes customers are offered the choice of fixed rate deals , nowadays at higher costs, or variable rate deals, where the prices only hold to October 2022 when they are expected to increase by a significant but unknown amount.

​​​​​​​If you explain more fully what you are looking at we can advise further.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters.
    Level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by meldrewreborn View Post
    @MyDistortedSmile

Are you meaning dual fuel or dual tariff. The latter gives cheaper night time electricity usage, usually for 7 hours, with slightly more expensive rates in the daytime. A single rate tariff (which is the norm) charges the same electricity rate day and night.

Dual fuel is for Gas and electricity tariffs - they are different products supplied by the same company.

Sometimes customers are offered the choice of fixed rate deals , nowadays at higher costs, or variable rate deals, where the prices only hold to October 2022 when they are expected to increase by a significant but unknown amount.

​​​​​​​If you explain more fully what you are looking at we can advise further.
    £800 price cap increase apparently.
    Level 18
    @Boncobill

So they say. But most of the people answering things on here are fellow customers, and we are victims of the very high (by historical standards) prices we have both now and into the future.

I think its true to say that we have been lulled into a false sense of security because prices, prior to last year, had remained fairly level for a very long time. This is despite the so called green levies loaded onto electricity prices and the warm home discounts, which many people do not realise, are subsidised by other customers paying more.

So it comes as a shock that prices are increasing to very uncomfortable levels now. But these problems are not confined to the UK they apply to almost the whole world, and its the world price of gas that is the cause of these problems. And because, following a push to reduce the environmental impact of electricity generation, half of our electricity is now produced from GAs, rather than coal. So the gas increase drives electricity prices higher too.

​​​​​​​So grumble away, but there's nothing I can do about it.
    Level 1
    Very true.

We need to very considerably increase supply from overseas nations who have capacity and maybe look into perhaps more North Sea development.

To the OP. I think if one gies onto a dual fuel tariff but your meter is not compatible then one just has the day rate as the residual charge rate, but I may be wrong.
    Level 38
    I think it would help to see photos of your electric meter @MyDistortedSmile .

I don't have the ability to access your account, nor permission to look up your meter info on ECOES. For me, photos of the meter are the best way for me to identify what you've got now. I can then use that to give you the right advice.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Beki is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither!
    Level 18
    @Boncobill

There is plenty of capacity to increase imported gas supplies, indeed we're acting as an input route into the European gas network at the moment. But those supplies come at a price. We've not had energy rationing this winter, so supply was not an issue, but the prices were high.

We could have more domestically produced gas from the sea bed or from fracking shale. But the environmentalists say that gas is still a fossil fuel and we should not commence exploration for new production. The wind, sun, tides, hydro and nuclear are the greener ways forward.
    Level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by meldrewreborn View Post
    @MyDistortedSmile

Are you meaning dual fuel or dual tariff.

Dual tariff, I am only offered the tariff versions that have separate Day and Night rate. As usual for dual rates, the night time electric is cheap but the suppliers make up for it with a more expensive day rate.

I want the single rate option for the same next flex tariff, which will save me 50 - 75p a day according to my calculations.
    Level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by theunknowntech View Post
    I think it would help to see photos of your electric meter @MyDistortedSmile .

​​​​​​​Name:  IMG_0174.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  99.5 KB
    Level 38
    I see. SMETS2 Smart Meter eh? This should be pretty easy. You may want to chat with customer service though, as they should​​​​​​​ be able to force this kind of change through for you.