Have Secure Liberty SMETS1 Smart Meters Been Upgraded To SMETS2

Level 1
    I have a Secure Liberty 100 SMETS1 electricity smart meter. A check on the Citizens Advice website indicates that that the meter is on smart meter data network.

Further research indicates that Secure Liberty 100 meters were to receive a remote firmware update to provide SMETS2 functionality by March 2022.

I arranged to have a smart gas meter installed on March 23. The engineer did a check and informed me that I had a SMETS1 electricity meter and that a smart gas meter would not commission to the electricity meter.

My gas supplier is EDF, the engineer from Morrisons Data Services.

Can anyone confirm that my electricity meter has SMETS2 functionality, and that it will work with a smart gas meter.
  • 1 Reply

Level 78
    Hiya @JKHucknall ,

It sounds like your meter has migrated to DCC, however it remains a SMETS1 meter and always will be. It's impossible to upgrade the site to SMETS2 without physically replacing ALL of the hardware i.e. electric meter, gas meter, comms hub and IHD with SMETS2 kit. The firmware upgrade keeps the meter as an S1 but allows it to be migrated to and controlled via DCC. That's basically all it does. You do get similar features, but the hardware remains unchanged.

It is impossible to install an S2 gas meter alongside an S1 electric meter as they are completely incompatible I'm afraid. The only way that gas meter can become smart, is to have the electric meter replaced as well and only your electric supplier can do that.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!