Smart meter not sending readings since move to EonNext

Level 1
    I moved to EonNext from Eon and my smart meter hasn't been sending data since. I've used the chat function before and told this would be rectified but still no change? Is there anything else I can do to fix this?
  • 10 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    SMETS 1 meters were originally supplier specific now there is a process to migrate them onto the DCC network, which will then make them universal. The end of 2022 is the planned end date for the migration, and the suppliers will not replace dumb meter until they’re certain it does need replacement. You cannot contact DCC Direct, so it’s customer services only. Customers have no real insight into what the problem really is.
    There has been a change in policy on the forum and its said that customer services are now the only way to resolve these issues.
    You can use the citizens advice smart meter checker to get useful information on your meters status.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    I am also in the same situation. The app and online account both show wrong values for the pre paid amount on the meter and it just looks like the data is not updating. Thankfully the smart meter is still working as it should but as for the new NEXT app/account it is below par at the moment.
    Level 2
    You will have to read the Smart Meter yourself and input the readings. My 92 year old father has been told to ask neighbours or passers by to read his meter!!!!!! I have been trying since November 2021 (when he was moved from Eon to Eon Next) to get this fixed and NO-ONE at Eon is able or willing to help. I have emailed and written to the Support Department and the CEO but it is still not sorted. On Monday I will be able to take my complaint to OFGEM (you have to allow Eon Next time to sort out the complaint) and I am hoping that this will prompt Eon Next into action. I have been told several times that the problem has been "fixed" but the Smart meter is STILL not sending Gas readings. I am hopping mad that a 92 year old has been told to ask "passers by" (who may be complete strangers) to read his meter for him! So much for the Priority Services register! The move from Eon to Eon Next has been a complete shambles.
    Level 1
    I have had thios problem since February this year. My Smart meters are not transmitting data to neither eonnext or my IHD.

I have been given several different feeble excuses for this ranging from:-

1. You have SMET1 meters and until DCC rolls out a software update, we don't know whether they can be fixed or whether they will need to be replaced with SMET2 meters.
    2. You originally had you smart meters installed by E.ON not Eonnext, which is a seperate company and which you switch companies the new company cannot read the meters.
    3. It's a billing date issue.
    4. The signal isn't strong enough (drivel. It worked perfectly for ththe three years prior to 'gong down'.

In short, I don't think they have any idea what is acausing this, how to fix it, or how long it will take. In short their entire 'smart' stratgey is a shambles.
    Level 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem.

I believe that if I mention, @theunknowntech or @PeterT_EONNext, they may be able to make contact and look into it - please?...............
    Level 78
    If you can show me photos of the meters, I can at least advise on what type of IHD to get. I'll need to combine that with data from DCC though, for which you'll need to use the CAB Smart Meter Check tool. Doing that will guarantee that I can give you the right advice.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 5
    I’m in the same boat, moved over from octopus and am now wishing I’d stayed, I moved over to go into the new next drive tariff but am now stuck on the flex tariff paying way more than I should be for charging my EV’s, apparently my meter (smets2) only 18 months old isn’t sending readings, however if I go onto the Eon next app I can see my daily usage on there, also the WAN light is flashing green as it should at 5 second intervals, now being told I need a new meter but this seems strange to me?
    Level 91
    @DunseithR

Smart meters can take up to around six weeks to become fully functional following a switch of supplier.

Just as an experiment, you could do as I did. My smart meters stopped communicating a while back and I had to submit manual reads. Out of the blue I started seeing usage in the Eon Next and Bright apps again. I sent an email to hi@eonnext.com to ask if they could try to pull a reading from my smart meters. They replied quite quickly saying they had successfully pulled readings and would cancel the engineer visit I had booked. I'm now waiting to see if they pull some readings automatically on my normal day of the month and produce a bill.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    @JoeSoap
    ok thanks, I’ve actually spoken to someone today and they’ve tried to pull a reading as I was on the phone, which was unsuccessful.