Why does the price of electricity go up if it is 100% renewable

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    EON boasts that ALL 100% of its electricity comes from renewable sdourced fuel. ie wind/solar

wind and sun have not gone up in price so why should we have to pay more for the electricity

weither we are bong ripped off or EON is lying when saying it is 100% sourced from renewables

There does not seem to me to be a third option
    comments anyone?
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 01-02-23 at 11:35.
  • 4 Replies

Level 29
    There is overwhelming scientific evidence to back up Eon's claims of electricity is produced from 100% renewable sources.
    Wind and Solar only provided a quarter of UK electricity in 2020. To replace fossil fuels with more Wind and Solar along with other renewable sources such as hydro/tidal and nuclear (fission within the medium term and fusion for the long term) would need a lot of extra investment; so where will the money come from but the end user???
    Your third option only leaves the taxpayer (yes you and I)🤣

Eon Next Customer

@baffled Hey there, it's Beki. 👋
    I also popped you a private message linking you to another thread where we discussed exactly the same question.
    It's a very common topic, and understandably so. You can view it here if you like but the comment I would like to highlight is here 😊

Although E.ON Next electricity is backed by 100% renewable sources (through E.ON's renewable generation assets, agreements with UK generators and the purchase of renewable electricity certificates), the electricity supplied to your home or business comes from the National Grid and Distribution Network Operators. The distribution network operator (DNO) is the company that owns and operates the power lines and infrastructure that connect National Grid network to your property. National Grid doesn't connect directly to homes and businesses because its voltage is too high.

Since renewables and nuclear will always run when they can, it is fossil fuels – and at present, gas, plus the cost of taxes on CO₂ pollution – that subsidise the rest of the energy production, albeit a small amount (under 40% in the UK and only about 20% across the EU). unfortunately the most expensive generator sets the price almost all the time and so the wholesale costs rise across the board. It's really sad that this is the case because I strongly feel there should be an energy market specifically for renewable energy so that the price for renewables is not dictated by fossil fuels and their carbon costs. 🌍

Please let me know what you think or if you need further information.
    Level 1
    @Beki_EONNext
    I bet if someone was to go and add up all the companies baosting that they only or partially sell electricity from renewables then it would add up top more than the ampunt quoted as being generated from renewables, and regardless of what you are saying we the public are getting ripped off somewhere in the process as you cant get away from the fact thaT WIND AND SUN have not gone up in price so anyone gererating power from these sources but getting a price set by gas and oil is still laughing all the way to the bank. i fully appreciate that there is only one set up cables and that no one will absolutley know where the actual power i use comes from , except of course that you are telling me that what i use via you is 100% from renewables . so the power entering the system that eventually comes to me must have started from renewables.

however i see that you actually prove in your response to me that EON;s statement re renewables is actually a faslehood and a lie. what you said is that if wind etc fails then the supply is generated by oil. so if there is no wind /or sun and thus no power generated by renewables my power should either go off or you are being provided power from gas . As my power does not go off the source of your supply to me is obviously being sourced from gas or oil NOT Renewables - hence your statement is a lie.

sorry but my faith in the industry and thus in your company has been lost. you could at least make a true statment on your web -that would at least be something!!
    @baffled We know the portion of energy that we provide is 100% renewable because we purchase the REGO's therefore we can guarantee that all of our energy is sourced from renewables. You can read more about them here. https://www.eonnext.com/renewable

*Electricity backed by 100% renewable sources, E.ON's renewable generation assets, agreements with UK generators and the purchase of renewable electricity certificates. The electricity supplied to your home or business comes from the National Grid.
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 28-04-23 at 10:54.