Migration from Eon to Eon Next with Economy 10 has failed

Level 1
    We had to leave our Economy 7 with Heatwise tariff back in 2019, as these tariffs were no longer supported. After discussions with the complex metering team we were switched to a 2 tariff smart meter (our old meter had 5 tariffs. One was a boost, which was never used, two were high and low tariffs for storage heaters and hot water on E10 and two were high and low tariffs for everything else).

We were anxious to retain the automatic switching on and off of the storage heaters, and this was achieved by the new meter being programmed to switch tariffs 6 times per day so that we had 3 hours of cheap rate in the afternoon, 2 in the evening, and 5 overnight.

We were worried about the increased unit cost but managed to offset this somewhat by using the electricity carefully in the cheap periods. The in house display was never accurate for the time switches so we often verified the timings by checking the meter. We could easily see when the load came on with the heaters starting up on the in house display. So we are confident that it switched at 7 mins past the hour both at the meter tariff, and the heaters themselves. When the clocks change the times stayed the same in GMT and we adjusted our useage accordingly.

By careful management we managed to achieve 90% of our units at the cheaper rate.

Today I was doing my usual check that the timing was as I expected now we are on BST. The meter, however, failed to change to cheap rate at all !

After a long call to a very helpful customer service agent it transpires that as our tariff was never actually described on the bill as Economy 10 with Eon, when the account migrated to Eon Next it was transferred as an Economy 7 tariff. Our heaters continued to come on at the times programmed by the engineer, so we are being billed at high rate for the 5 afternoon and evening hours. Also of course any other energy we have carefully tried to schedule into these hours.

Very luckily the migration happened in the last month, or it could have been disastrous. As it is, apparently it will take up to 10 days to even make contact with the Complex metering team. Until then we will just have to switch the heating off during the day. We have no way to override the meter settings so the heaters will just get 5 hours cheap rate at night, and only if we get up at 1.30 to switch them on.

Is there anybody here who can help speed up the restoration of our tariff ? One of us is aged 85 and we have snow forecast this week. We will really miss the afternoon and evening boost. We cannot afford to use it at peak rate and have a 50 % price rise looming at the start of April.

I am sure this must have happened to all the E10 customers who were migrated, and most of them will not realise until too late.
  • 19 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    @Crunchie66 Heya, it's Beki here 👋
    thank you so much for popping us a message on the Community.
    I am afraid I can't look into this for you, but I have asked for one of our Complex Team to come on and get an answer for you.
    I will pop you a PM. 😊
    Level 91
    @Crunchie66

Obviously Eon next should be moving the equivalent of mountains to get this resolved. But in my mind there is absolutely no reason why you should be out of pocket as a result of this bungled move from Eon. I therefore suggest that you need to raise a formal complaint, whereby your use of the various rates should be in proportion to what you used last year (prices will be higher of course)and ask for significant compensation on top. At 85 it is important to keep warm and you could do without the worry this will be causing.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn thank you for your kind reply. I did think that as the error is entirely theirs Eon might fix it more quickly. It is particularly annoying as I believe when we finally get to speak to the complex metering team it will only take minutes to fix, and maybe a day to update the meter. We were told yesterday that the E7 would kick in at 12.20 pm. I went out with a torch and found it actually switched at 1.37 am. It doesn't pay to rely on anything without checking it. So tonight I will set an alarm and put the heaters on at that time, which will give them 4.5 hours when they can charge at cheap rate.
    Level 1
    @Crunchie66 We tried to complain today. 45 mins to get through. Half an hour trying to explain to someone who's never heard of Economy 10, then we got cut off !
    Level 1
    @Crunchie66 5 phone calls, 122 minutes on the phone, 17 posts in Facebook messenger. We are no nearer getting anything sorted out at all. Virtually all of those calls and messages have been taken up with trying to explain the problem to people who have never heard of Economy 10. Not their fault of course, but there are only 3 kinds of tariff so its a bit disheartening that even the complaints department has only heard of 2 of them.

It seems that EonNext cutting off our heating when it's snowing, and one of us is 85 is not a priority. We just want someone to fix the thing they broke. It will take them about 2 minutes on a computer. No engineer is needed. If anyone reading this has any idea how to make it happen please let us know. It us exhausting having to get up at 1.30 am every night just to switch on some heat.
    Level 91
    @Crunchie66

Nobody from Eon next has commented on this yet. Perhaps @Beki_EONNext can help to sort this significant failure by eon next.
    Level 91
    @Crunchie66

Hopefully Beki's colleague will sort it out. Don't forget to keep the forum advised of progress. We can't see Personal Messages
    Level 1
    So Beki has kindly passed this on to the complex metering team. I hope they will look at it tomorrow.