Variable Tariffs

Level 1
    So the new variable tariff for 2022, Next Flex, has no contract or ending. If I later think about a fixed tariiff, would that be easy to do?
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    @KarenA

The fixed price tariffs can be withdrawn at any time. Whether they are replaced by a differently priced tariff is debateable. If you can contact customer services than they can advise you of your options. Whether a fix represents good value for money is also debateable. On his ITV special last night Martin Lewis suggested that if a fix at 30% above the current flex rates was available it might be worth going for, but not otherwise.

Try not to panic. One of the issues is that our energy consumption drops in the summer as we use less heating, and this needs to be factored in. On a 1 year fix you'll be comparing to 4 more months of known variable flex rates and 8 more months of an unknown variable rate. OFGEM suggested yesterday another 42% average on rates but it could be higher or lower and it does depend on your your mix of fuel and level of consumption.

Its impossible to advise you in anything other than loose vague terms, because so many elements are unknown. I've already fixed my electricity back in March, but my gas is variable and I've not yet found a fix that's attractive (i use two different suppliers). I suspect the vast majority of customers will stay on the variable tariffs - so if you do nothing you'll be in good company.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 78
    Yup, just sign up for a fixed rate deal and it'll activate immediately.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 4
    Hi, I’m confused. My 2 year fix comes to an end on May 31st. I panicked and changed my tariff to the cheapest available which was flexi which starts on 1st June. Today after hearing the price Cap will rise by 42% I went on my online account to fix my tariff for 1 or 2 years but there is no option to do this at all. Why? Can anyone help me please?