How to contact E.ON Next

Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

It is indeed possible and on an Economy 7 system I had down in Southampton back in the 90s, it used a Sangamo mechanical time clock to switch the immersion heater and storage heater loads.

The problem with some older systems, especially using Radio TeleSwitch (RTS) was that the heating and hot water was often on a different tariff to the regular Economy 7 system.

Plans such as Heatsave or Flexheat (popular in Scotland or in Southern England back in the day) had four tariff rates. Standard Economy 7 with peak and off peak rates for your household electricity needs, and then two separate rates for off peak heating/water and a daytime 'boost'. These used complex metering arrangements with four rates and two sets of standing charges. SSE was formed by a merger of Scottish Electricity and Southern Electric as they were the only two companies that rolled out these systems.

Anyway, a correctly configured 5 terminal meter with the four separate rates is indeed possible but is something that only SSE and OVO seem to be able to get their heads around.

A standard four terminal meter will physically do the job with a timeswitch for the heating loads, but there would be no provision for setting different rates specifically for heating use.

The South of England used to have a very ample supply of off-peak electricity thanks to input from Winfrith, Berkeley, Oldbury, Hinkley Point A and Dungeness A Magnox nuclear reactors so it made sense to use the surplus night-time generation for heating and hot water. Remember the old Heat Electric adverts from the 70s?

Similarly in Scotland. A very much smaller population, largely off the gas grid and ample overnight energy from Hunterston A and Chapelcross reactors.

With all the older Magnox plants now in decommissioning, all that 'spare' off peak power is a thing of the past so schemes like Flexheat and Heatsave haven't made sense for over twenty years. Most of the legacy systems should have been ripped out and replaced years ago, but there are about 1.7 million existing installations, 1.2 million of which use Radio TeleSwitch which is being shut down in April next year.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie

Thanks for the above.

Quote "A standard four terminal meter will physically do the job with a timeswitch for the heating loads, but there would be no provision for setting different rates specifically for heating use."

Is the pricing really an issue as the meter would presumably be able to cope with E7.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

All SMETS2 meters can support E7. Technically, all SMETS2 5 terminal meters can support E7 plus two heating rates. The problem is whether the supplier can support complex billing or not!

Yes, if you run your heat and hot water on Off Peak E7 and the boost function on day rate, everything 'should' be fine. But the older Heatsave and Flexheat packages were designed for four-rate and the RTS allowed the heating times at night to be dynamically tweaked by the DNO in response to actual measured demand. Heating times were not always the same as standard off-peak times.
    Level 91
    @retrotecchie
    I think the old tariffs are effectively dead and we're in a new situation. To me a normal smart meter and a time switch for storage and hot water will do the trick well enough. Lets keep it simple.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

I completely agree. One lot of standing charges is bad enough!
    Level 6
    @DebF_EONNext Already done, this quite a while ago now so a bit odd that it's responded to now, but thanks anyway.
    Community Manager
    Hi @SteffiT

It's great to see you around the Community again! Sorry to hear that you've only just had a reply not sure what happened. I'll see if I can look into it and see why your query could have been bypassed. I'm super pleased to hear that it's all been sorted now! We'd love to hear all about your customer journey so don't be a stranger around here 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 6
    I think one of your colleagues did respond, and the situation was resolved, it was just a little while ago is all