Energy saving

Level 91
    I know this is an energy saving thread but at the moment the nub of it is about how to reduce our bills. Aside from cutting down on energy use there are other ways of reducing spending and so ameliorating the increased energy bills. It all amounts to what's left (if anything) in our bank account at the end of the month.

I have recently received renewals for Phone/Internet, Central Heating cover and Car insurance. By phoning them and asking how I can get them cheaper I saved over £800 over the coming year. £67 per month for an hour or two on-hold and speaking to someone.

In two cases they just knocked hundreds off by way of discount just for asking. By paying in one go instead of monthly saved quite a bit too so I used savings that were earning no interest. I cut out unlimited UK calls from my phone/internet provider and we just use our mobile phone allowance that we had anyway.

I've down branded when shopping wherever it made little or no difference and being a bit older I've now got a bus pass and use that where I can. It's even a bit of an adventure.

We can only reduce our energy bills by so much so savings elsewhere do the same job effectively.

Any other ideas out there?
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 02-09-22 at 10:39. Reason: typo
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

It makes absolute sense to examine every item of expenditure, especially when times are as tough as they are increasingly so now.

As a long time viewer of the Martin Lewis TV shows I can recommend them, and his money saving expert website. I have to say though, partly because I'm a long time advocate, I'm not able to make the huge savings that many others can - because I'm ahead of them in the game. But we're never too old to learn!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    I could never get to the bottom of whether it was more economical to leave the (gas boiler) hot water on all day as opposed to coming on for short periods throughout the day.

Up until several weeks back, when I could see my energy costs were going to go through the roof, I chose the all day option from about 6am to 9pm.

I decided to try an hour in the morning to get us going, followed by a late morning and early evening top up of 50 minutes each. I have also been filling my daily bath to a lower level and having it a bit cooler. I know, showers are more economical but hey. Until today I was unsure of what difference it made.

Step forward my new Bright App.

I didn’t get the calculator out but with no central heating being on and only a moderately used gas hob, I have seen a reduction in my gas usage down to approximately two-thirds of what it was when the hot water was on all day and I was having deeper, warmer baths.

I’m happy to attribute this to changing my hot water timer and at the extortionate rates I currently pay on my recent fix, the savings are considerable at around £20+ per month by my quick reckoning.

Energy saving is becoming fun in this house.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    I guess we all know there are savings to be made by fitting LED bulbs. I’ve just had a quick tally of what I’ve gradually replaced…

Over thirty bulbs, including nineteen 50w GU10s that were frequently on that are now 5w. Another dozen or so bulbs of at least 40w that are now a tenth of that.

Let’s say conservatively, thirty bulbs burning at 50w each. That’s 1500w now down to about 150w. Even switched on for just a couple of hours each every day in the winter at 50p plus per kWh, it amounts to a saving of around £1.50 per day or £45 per month.

Definitely worth the investment starting with the lights that are used the most.

Please feel free to check my mental arithmetic.
    Level 91
    I have the hot water on 7-8 in the morning, 5-6 and 7-8 in the evening. I don’t have a combi because i’ve The solar thermal panel which heats the same tank. When there’s plenty of sunshine the boiler doesn’t come on at all. Showers are standard in our home - and have been for 40+ years.

the general thing to remember is that the warmer the tank the more heat it will lose. I’ve been following another forum where heat pump operation was discussed and heating to only 45 C was mentioned. Legionella can thrive at such temperatures which is why my tank heats to 60 C even though a lower temperature would be more economical.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 06-09-22 at 20:33.
    Level 91
    I find that demonstrating the halogens which last circa 1000 hours cost a fortune in those hours compared to the equivalent LED. And LEDs don’t need replacing so often, important as we age.
    Level 91

the general thing to remember is that the warmer the tank the more heat it will lose. I’ve been following another forum where heat pump operation was discussed and heating to only 45 C was mentioned. Legionella can thrive at such temperatures which is why my tank heats to 60 C even though a lower temperature would be more economical.

I’m with you on that one. I used a meat thermometer at the hot tap closest to the boiler to get the temperature to 60 degrees. The tank stat is sensitive and difficult to adjust with any precision to an exact temp just by reading it so that was the best thing I could think to do to keep us safe.
    Level 91
    The energy saving continues…

We like soft towels so the weekly towel wash always resulted in a heavy load of wet towels going in the tumble dryer for two hours. Air drying results in rough towels.

Now we eek out the towels a bit longer and then when we do wash them we air dry them until almost dry and then tumble them for 15 minutes maximum.

Result… soft(ish) towels and a lower leccy bill.

One good thing about high energy prices is the bigger incentive to cut down on energy use and even if the price cap is frozen we’re getting into good habits in our house.
    Level 2
    Some good advice there @TAYLOROY 😀

I've seen some people where I live now have solar porch lights, has anyone tried those before? I like the idea of solar lighting so much more sustainable and better for your pocket 😉

I have a solar led porch light with motion sensor. It works very well, winter and summer alike. Bought it from Screwfix.
    Level 91
    @JoeSoap

Agreed

Even if the prices are fully capped for 2 years (the election is by December 2024!!) the prices will still be very high historically. my gas is more than twice the price I was paying prior to the suppliers going bust at the April 22 price cap rates, and this new one will be about 25% more than that.

And with variable prices effectively fixed for 2 years and suppliers unable to offer competitive fixed prices we'll have no way to reduce our bills except by using less.

We will all face the option of paying shed loads more for our energy or using less. Us older (and wiser?) heads can lead the way. None of us have faced energy inflation on this scale before. but in addition the younger generations haven't faced general inflation on this scale while we have - in the 1970s.

The consumer society of today isn't generally used to looking at those pesky energy labels on appliances, or come to that on homes for purchase or rent. If people have got any sense at all they will pay more attention from now on.

It was ironic that the prices of the new iPhone 14 were released yesterday, their scale surely has to be compared to the size of our energy bills, and it doesn't flatter. if we discount borrowing for a moment, we can only spend our money once. We have choices and some of those choices have become more difficult now.