something went wrong taking your payment.

Level 1
    I've tried on three previous days to make a payment with my visa debit card but unfortunately i keep getting the message, something went wrong. This card is current and it works for other purchases. So, i have used another visa debit card i have to make a payment and it worked with no problem. Is this a problem with World pay because its certainly not a problem with my bank. Thanks
  • 16 Replies

Level 78
    Hey there @dvt ,

I'm only a forum volunteer, but you'll be amazed at what I can do even without the ability to access your account. I suspect the reason you're having trouble is because E.On Next might not yet have support for something called 3DSecure 2.0 and your bank is enforcing the use of it on merchants - but you'll probably know it by that Verified by Visa thing you see online. Until this gets enabled, the payments will continue to fail on that card. This is NOT a problem with the bank or your debit card - it's E.On Next at fault!

I'll yell at @Beki_EONNext for you about enabling it. :)
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    @dvt Oh dear that's not helpful at all. I've passed it to the tech team for now so they can have a look into it.
    In the meantime, if you pop us a message through in social media you can request them to call you back to take a payment over the phone. If you prefer giving us a ring, know that our lines are open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday. Home related calls 0808 501 5200. There is however a rather long wait time at the moment.
    Level 1
    Sorry i probably didn't make myself really clear. My main debit card i use for paying bills keeps being declined but it has been ok in the past. So i pay with my other debit card, same bank, which goes through without a problem, this card i don't normally use for paying bills. I know it sounds a bit convoluted but that's the way i manage paying bills. I've also noticed that i can make a payment with a credit card no problem. I can only assume its got something to do with World pay.
    Level 1
    Ive just done a £20 bank transfer, and wish to know when this will show on the eon next account dashboard, for some strange reason the dashboard wont go to worldpay .this is concerning ,as this has never happened before I've tried to get through on the phone but nobody seems to answer ,and this dont come across as a good look , and I aint a big fan of the social media touch .hope to hear soon .
    Level 1
    Unfortunately EON-NEXT is really ****! I have the same issues as you. My readings on this rubbish platform are the same they were 3 days ago and payments are not being taken because they have switched to world pay which is known to be dodgy. I don't trust this platform anymore and am looking to move away as soon as possible.
    Level 1
    Yes same for me, online payment doesn't work now - please fix this so I can pay the bills online.
    I've exactly the same problem, I've been receiving the same error message for a week. Prior to this I've been making payments without issue for months.

The trigger for the error is WorldPay's fraud prevention algorithm. The transaction gets silently dropped by WorldPay so it never makes it to your bank.

I've spent the past two days trying to get customer services to listen to me but all I get is the request that I contact my bank. My bank say there is nothing wrong with my card and that they can't see any requests for payment. See the previous paragraph for the reason why.

The WorldPay fraud prevention algorithm gets triggered like any other, in my case it was small payments in quick succession on a daily basis.

The reason I pay daily is twofold. I can't have a smart meter as the gas and electric meters have different addresses so the accounts can't be merged. Also, I'm self employed, so the ability to send meter readings and pay what's owed on a daily basis helps with my finances.

The fix lies in Eon Next's WorldPay merchant account - there is a section where blocked cards can be found, and indeed, unblocked and added to a whitelist.

How do I know this? I used to be an IT manager and the first thing to always do is RTFM. The documentation for WorldPay merchants is freely available and easily found - together with how the fraud prevention algorithm gets triggered.

But can I get Eon Next to listen to me?
    Level 91
    @Eilidh

this seems to be an issue that recurs from time to time. Perhaps @Beki_EONNext would like to contact you by personal message so your payment problems can be investigated internally, volunteers can’t fix this for you.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @meldrewreborn thank you for your encouraging words, I do hope this can be resolved quickly.