Need a new IHD? SmartView 2 not working? Here's some alternative IHD options

Level 1
    My thanks to "The unknown tech" for his advice on a IHD for my SMETS 1 meter. I haven't ordered one as yet (still trying to find out if it will work with my meter) but quite by chance stumbled across a sort of way round the issue of checking electricity usage. The temporary fix I have found is to use the Samsung Smart Things app on my smart phone. This comes pre-installed on Samsung phones but is available to download - for free I believe - for other Android devices and even I Phones. One of the "accessories" to the Smart Things app is "Smart Things Energy". Once set up and working it displays usage in kwh and cost (which can be set exactly as per your tariff) for hours, days, weeks and months. It is not a substitute for an IHD in that the information on the screen is not instant - usually 24 hours behind - but it is better than nothing and above all is free (assuming you have a smart phone or tablet that is!) Set up was not difficult and it began working within the 48 hours that they said.

I know this thread is about IHD's but it is a related matter and for those whose devices have stopped working or they cant get one that does work then this solution may offer some help.

PS Just seen the last post where reference is made to the Loop app. I looked into this but it wanted all my bank card details "just for verification" . No way am I going down that route.
    Level 78
    No worries. My friend Blastoise186 worked with me to create that guide, and he also has his own one regarding SmartThings Energy, which you can check out right here.

These apps can work in certain cases, but it depends on the meter being connected via DCC and currently, none of them can provide real-time usage data. All of the apps are free, but how you set them up varies between each one.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Hi @theunknowntech
    i have an ihd smart view 2 that will try to set my set up then scan for networks for months but doesn't find anything.

Could you identify my meters and maybe tell me if there is a way to reconnect the ihd to the meter.

if i am correct i have a smets2 and the ihd needs re-paired to the meters.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Level 1
    Hi @theunknowntech
    i have an ihd smart view 2 that will try to set my set up then scan for networks for months but doesn't find anything.

Could you identify my meters and maybe tell me if there is a way to reconnect the ihd to the meter.

if i am correct i have a smets2 and the ihd needs re-paired to the meters.

Thank you

I am in the same situation since beginning of last December. I called and even used messenger on Facebook but I my IHD is still not connecting. Eon Next is getting my reading though but with the prices rising, I would like the IHD working so I can check and control my expenditure.

The EUI-64 address on both my smart meter and my IHD is same.

Can someone help me or will I have to buy a new IHD and hope it works???
    Level 78
    No worries. Those are all EDMI SMETS2 meters.

The best option for both of you @bmariam89 and @Gergeyl would be the ivie Bud. It's not worth me trying to help you fix the SmartView 2 sadly, as it'll only break again.
    Level 78
    Hey @cily35 I'm really, really sorry but I just realised I never answered your question.

You have SMETS1 meters there, so you'd want the S1 variant of the Hildebrand Glow once it eventually comes into stock again.
    Level 1
    Further to my earlier post about the Samsung Smart Things Energy app I have now discovered, downloaded and am using the "Bright" app. This is made by Hildebrand and Glow - the same makers of the Glow IHD mentioned on here. This app is streets ahead of the Samsung offering. In fact I would say it does all that a IHD does (and more in some areas) apart from real-time monitoring. On that score it is about 3 hours behind. The app does both electricity and gas, unlike the Samsung offering which is electric only. The app is free to download and use and can be set up to link with the IHD. The verification process is a bit of a faff and includes sending photos of recent bills and even a selfie video of yourself saying you understand the terms and conditions. All in all though I can thoroughly recommend it as a near alternative to a IHD or as an adjunct to one.
    On the subject of the actual hardware (the subject of this thread!) my meter is SMETS 1 and I did query with Hildebrand when or if the SMETS 1 version of the Glow IHD would be back in stock. I was advised , "The good news is that the new stock for SMETS2 devices is basically the same - we just need to put SMETS1 certificates on the units. That should get done within the next 2-3 weeks." The company says it will notify me when they come available. I hope that is helpful. I am very impressed with the Hildebrand customer service.

Bryan
    Level 1
    Since moving from who shut down and sold us up the river and was placed to Eon, without the chance of fixing I am now in a situation of my smart IHD does not correctly display up to date tariffs. Can you manually change them or does this come from Eon? Either way smart meters they just are not intuitive enough!
    Last edited by Lee_EONNext; 18-07-23 at 16:24. Reason: Removed another energy supplier
    Level 1
    Hi @unknowntech Thanks for your wonderful postings.

On a whim I bought the ivie bud, it was very easy to set up. It’s displaying the old unit charges, and then some bizarre standing rate charges. Also, it says ‘Welcome to Igloo’.

Any suggestions of how I can things to display correctly?
    Last edited by TeessideConfused; 06-04-22 at 14:04. Reason: Change of question
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech hi, could you advise which meters I have please? Sorry about the filthy gas meter! It's outside 🙈 Thank you

Name:  277831778_4867209393387418_4270349708271512644_n.jpg
Views: 4040
Size:  40.7 KBName:  276974974_1051468538912887_5121899908796292923_n.jpg
Views: 4047
Size:  47.1 KB