Not 100% renewable?

Level 1
    Why are E-on Next claiming to provide 100% renewable electricity, yet hiking the cost just as gas prices are going through the roof.

What has gas got to do with renewable electricity, there should be no gas used in the generation of renewable electricity so no link to gas prices. Are we all being conned?
  • 8 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    Hey there, Beki here. 👋

Thanks for stopping by and posting on the Community. It is awesome to have you here.
    I understand that the energy crisis is having a huge impact on everybody and so we popped together a Q&A which you can find here.
    It might be worth popping this over in that thread as there are lots of people getting involved over there.

Another fantastic resource for all things to do with the price cap is from the source themselves - Ofgem.
    Level 29
    Why are E-on Next claiming to provide 100% renewable electricity, yet hiking the cost just as gas prices are going through the roof.
    Thank you for your comments. Actually, I've noticed that electricity prices per KwH are not increasing that much compared to Gas.
    What has gas got to do with renewable electricity, there should be no gas used in the generation of renewable electricity so no link to gas prices.
    I agree and I provided some references to show in the link provided by Beki (Q&A) where and how the electricity was 100% renewable; however being in a transitionary period to turning to renewable electricity, it needed investment funding, and we are paying a ***fair*** price for it compared to gas.
    Are we all being conned?
    Its OFGEM who ultimately sets the fuel price cap. Reasons for this are discussed here if you want to join in this discussion as well.

Eon Next Customer

Level 1
    There relationship to gas prices should be irrelevant as there us no gas used in the generation of the claimed 100% renewable electricity E-on Next are promoting and I and many others subscribe to.

Your claim that "Actually, I've noticed that electricity prices per KwH are not increasing that much compared to Gas." is misleading and missing the point.

There should be no correlation between 100% renewable electricity price which does not contain any gas in it's generation, and the high and volatile gas price.

There has been a huge increase in your electricity price.

In January and February 2021 I was charged 15.75p/kWh and a standing charge of 23.79p/day.
    in March 2021 I was charged 20.14p/kWh and a standing charge of 30.043p/day.

This is an increase of nearly 28% for the electricity and over 26% increase in the stand charge.

From April we know you will steeply increase these prices again as gas prices rise.

You are not even quoting any fixed tariffs, but last Time I looked earlier in the month you were quoting more than double what I am paying now.

Why are you using the increasing gas price, which you claim is not used in the generation of you 100% renewable electricity as an excuse the hugely increase your electriciy prices?

Your marketing is dishonest and your apparent profiteering on the back of increasing wholesale gas prices is immoral.
    Level 1
    Further to my earlier post E-on next are now quoting 28.82p per kWh for they electricity and a standing charge of 54.52p per day if I were to renew my next few tariff.

I was paying 15.75p/kWh and 23.787p/day standing charge for the same tariff until it expired in February.

That is an increase of more than 82% increase in the cost of the electricity and more than 129% increase in the standing charge.

How can E.on possibly use the increase in gas prices to justify these obscene increase to tariffs that are claimed to be 100% renewable and use no gas.

@yorkshireman I am going to quote myself from another post you can view here.

Although E.ON Next electricity is backed by 100% renewable sources (through E.ON's renewable generation assets, agreements with UK generators and the purchase of renewable electricity certificates), the electricity supplied to your home or business comes from the National Grid and Distribution Network Operators. The distribution network operator (DNO) is the company that owns and operates the power lines and infrastructure that connect National Grid network to your property. National Grid doesn't connect directly to homes and businesses because its voltage is too high.

Since renewables and nuclear will always run when they can, it is fossil fuels – and at present, gas, plus the cost of taxes on CO₂ pollution – that subsidise the rest of the energy production, albeit a small amount (under 40% in the UK and only about 20% across the EU). unfortunately the most expensive generator sets the price almost all the time and so the wholesale costs rise across the board. It's really sad that this is the case because I strongly feel there should be an energy market specifically for renewable energy so that the price for renewables is not dictated by fossil fuels and their carbon costs. 🌍
    Level 0
    @yorkshireman I am going to quote myself from another post you can view here.

Your statement the most expensive sets the charge seems unfair. You have or pay for REGO. Should E.ON, therefore, not do things differently and charge lesser for electricty despite whar the most expensive generator is set as?

Trying to be like everyone else when there is definitely an option for E.On to manually and intentionally set lower prices and not follow the trend seems a bit unfair.

Why can E.ON not set lower prices for electricity despite following the most expensive generator?

It is a business and I think you can drive your own competition whilst being fair on the grounds of renewables & customer care whilst still making a profit.
    @AMurphy I understand and I completely agree. This decision is set by Ofgem and not the energy companies, sadly, otherwise I'm sure they would be trying to out do each other on cost. From what I have read, and please don't hold this to bible, is that the government is looking to actively change that. This will stop the highest costing fuel at the time dictating the energy market prices, including the renewable electricity...but will it solve the problem in the long run? Or should we be looking to have a completely 'green grid'. (These are my personal thoughts and not those of E.ON Next btw)