Smart Meter now 5 days old... still no Gas readings

Level 2
    Hi,

I used to pay quarterly, but without any choice I was moved to E-On Next and told I would now have to pay monthly - no choice in the matter. Having to submit the readings every month became annoying, so we agreed (following the bombardment of emails) to have a smart meter fitted, on the assumption it would stop us having to submit readings.

We had a smart meter fitted by the E-On engineers last Wednesday (5 days ago). They said everything was up and running and gave us a demo of the meter. We were told the electricity was showing, but the gas wouldn't appear for 24 hours. Reading the documents I could download, they say the Gas may not appear for 48 hours. Well, we're now up to 5 days and the meter only shows electricty. We have tried turning it on/off and it still only shows electricity. The Gas option always is "----", "waiting for data".

Is there anything we can do to get the Gas to show? Has it been fitted correctly?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
  • 9 Replies

Level 78
    Howdy! I'm theunknowntech, the evil genius forum volunteer with way too much time on my hands.

I think I know a solution that might work. @DebF_EONNext just approved your post through pre-moderation, so I'll ask her to try and run some SMETS Commands to pull an instant meter reading from both your meters and force the read schedule to be set up. Would you like Half-Hourly, Daily or Monthly readings on your usage data? Monthly seems to be the default here, but you're free to choose whichever level you'd like.

That might solve the issue, but if it doesn't please stop by and I'll try more of my tricks.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Community Team
    @theunknowntech thanks for the @ I can see you're our communities very own Smart wizard 🧙‍♂️

Hey @Gimgamgoo 👋 I'm Deb i'm one of the community co-ordinators here on the forum. I've found your account & managed to poll a reading through on both your meters just now so please don't worry they are both communicating with us as they should. Your reads are set to daily (this is how often your meter communicates with us) & your billing schedule is all set up & good to go too. If your in home display is only showing your electricity readings then it might be worth resetting it, give that a go & let us know how you get on 😊

Deb 🌻
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 07-02-22 at 16:54.
    Level 2
    Hi
    Thanks for checking it for me.
    having turned the meter off/on with the button on the back, the electricity reading returns, but the Gas is always displaying '- - - -' and 'Waiting for current data'.
    Level 1
    Is your gas meter located several feet away from your electric meter? Ours is, and doesn't communicate with the electric meter and onward to the IHD device. It's been like it for 3 months, the frustration is huge. Other companies provide a free relay booster box for such situations but it seems eon haven't got there yet
    Level 2
    Is your gas meter located several feet away from your electric meter? Ours is, and doesn't communicate with the electric meter and onward to the IHD device. It's been like it for 3 months, the frustration is huge. Other companies provide a free relay booster box for such situations but it seems eon haven't got there yet

The Gas Meter is on one outer wall, the electric meter is on the exact opposite side of the house on an outer wall. Ironically, the IHD is less than 1m from where the Gas meter is.
    I guess from your comment, the gas meter sends it's signal to the electric meter, which then relays both to the IHD. Is this how they work? The engineers said they'd checked all signals and everything was fine before they left. If this is the case, I can't understand how E-On getting both sets of readings as stated by @DebF_EONNext
    Level 1
    @Gimgamgoo yes exactly that. The gas sends to the electric meter and that relays to the IHD but I think the supplier is able to remotely download info direct from the gas meter. After tearing our hair out for two months we were told there was nothing that could be done to rectify the problem, and that was that. The engineer installing ours simply said it would take 48 hours for the gas readings to show up, their get out of dodge card, because no one at Eon was in the slightest bit interested in helping. When I insisted on raising a formal complaint, the person Who was dealing with the problem said she would raise the complaint for me, then she said she would deal with it, then she said sorry, we can't make it right.
    Level 2
    So, looking around other providers, they say if this happens, they will provide a smart relay to solve the issue.
    I can't find anything about this on E-On's info or web pages. Do E-On send out wifi relays for smart meters?
    How do I go about requesting one?
    Level 78
    Sorry, but I'm afraid Smart Relays no longer exist. They were banned from SMETS2 setups by the NCSC and have since faded from SMETS1 as well. Chances are they'll never be back due to massive security vulnerabilities that compromised the integrity of the entire system. You can no longer request one from any supplier that I know of. In fact, it's probably been at least a couple of years now since all the stocks ran out almost everywhere.

Me and my friend Blastoise186 are keeping an eye out for any pages that still say they are available and are contacting suppliers who still list them. It's not easy, but we've had some results so far.
    Level 1
    So, looking around other providers, they say if this happens, they will provide a smart relay to solve the issue.
    I can't find anything about this on E-On's info or web pages. Do E-On send out wifi relays for smart meters?
    How do I go about requesting one?

according to the unknown guy, these are no longer available due to security issues although I find that very hard to believe. Several family members have boosters for their internet modems and this is not that different. When I requested from Eon I was advised they are not available at all. It would be interesting to find out if in fact they are still available from other companies. There are thousands of customers in similar situations.