Price Cap Q&A

Level 29
    @PeterT_EONNext Peter, there is a parallel discussion taking place here on this thread where the same information is being shared.
    Is there any chance of merging them❔

Eon Next Customer

Level 1
    All i will say is I will not be paying any more than I am currently. I cannot afford the difference, it will put me into financial hardship and I'm already in an IVA. If E.on next think they can just up my direct debit with a click of a switch they got another thing coming. Direct debit will be cancelled and a standing order will be set up instead. The only reason I havent switched to a fixed tariff in the last 2 years is because the only available tariffs made it "mandatory" to have a smart meter fitted. I do NOT want a smart meter fitted, I never have done and I never will for multiple reasons which I shall not go into here. In addition to this I have been harassed by you on multiple occasions to have a smart meter fitted via SMS, email and letter, despite me explicitly stating I wanted it recorded on my file that I DO NOT WANT A SMART METER!!! This is blatant direct discrimination meaning I have been FORCED to remain with you on a variable rate tariff due to there being no other alternatives available. How is that a fair and transparent market when you are only peddling one thing...smart meters. Its not. Ive tried switching suppliers but the market seems to be saturated with the same tyrannical corps all demanding the same thing. I have been with E.on for several years now and this is how loyal customers are repaid. Absolutely disgusting. If I end up with a large debt, I will be removing all implied rights of access to my property and will not engage with anyone who knocks on my door for payment.

Without prejudice,
    The Occupier
    All rights reserved
    None waived ever.

Level 91
    @Lacoste1985

I can see your difficulty. But prices are rising for virtually everybody, and there are very few fixes available, and whether they provide value for money is ever debateable.

I too don't want a smart meter, but I've accepted a tariff that includes one. Hopefully there will be a reason why one can't be fitted. If one is eventually fitted I will not utilise the useless in home display.

But direct debit is the cheapest way to pay for your energy and stopping that will only cost you more. And I would strongly recommend a complete audit of your energy consumption, cutting out completely everything that is less than essential. You have to pay for what you use, as everybody else has to.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn i cant pay for something that I wont have the money for. Its quite simple. Already got LED bulbs etc and turn plugs off etc etc, this price hike is going to mean heating or eating, literally for about 6 million people. I'm sticking to my guns. Energy is only billed to us the way it is through "rental" of the meters, nothing more nothing less. Its tyrannical and it needs to end.
    Level 91
    @Lacoste1985

I've just been looking at my gas prices. I used to pay 2.6478p per unit on my fix price with Zog. They went bust because their wholesale supplier went bust, so forcibly transferred to EDF. Price currently 4.272p per unit. Price from April 2022 7.736p per unit. Then they offer a fixed price 2 year deal @16.831p per unit.

The price increase from April is 197.17% over my old fix price with Zog, which was supposed to see me through to March 2023. So like many I'm not happy about the situation. But its really not personal, although it will feel like it is. The whole world is facing these increases in the price of gas, and if people can't pay them then eventually the prices will moderate.

But things in some parts of the world are currently horrific and people there see the UK as a good place to be.
    Level 1
    Hi Peter
    you must have the prices you are charging from 1st April for variable tariff

can you send
    me them for gas & electric please

yorkshire area

thanks in advance
    Level 91
    @TAYLOROY

The data is here on the price cap. Default tariff cap level - 1 April 2022 - 30 September 2022 (ofgem.gov.uk) Eon next may be prevented or else unwilling to post tariffs now.

The rates though are likely to be at or just below the maximum they are permitted to charge. The nil unit rate allows you to work out the standing charge. For the unit rate you subtract the nil unit figure from the 3,100 or 12,000 kWh annual total and divide that by the number of units. Its messy and I think Ofgem could do better.

You should come out at 26.1 p per unit electric, and 6.9p per unit gas on a single rate tariff paying by other payment method(DD). standing charge 46p and 26p respectively.
    Level 1
    Hello
    Im so confused. My bill is going up from £105 a month to £226.
    I need to talk to someone who can go through my account and tell me if I need a cap or if I’m on the correct tarrif.
    I’m a teacher so can’t really speak on the phone in the day.
    How can I get some help. I’m so overwhelmed.
    Level 91
    @Naomi76

People can advise you but they can't tell you what to do. You have to decide for yourself.

The new price cap comes into effect from April1 for six months. Given the increase in your DD I'd guess you are on the variable but price capped tariff. So also are the majority of the population because they always have been on the variable tariff, or their current fix has come to and end, or they've been shifted when their old supplier went under.

There may be a fixed tariff you can move to - but as these last longer than the six month price cap period, and those rates are expected to rise in October, they are even more expensive than the price capped rates. You have to check what is available for you, but i have to tell you now that there are very few fixed rates available at this moment and they look horrendous to most people.

Your DD relies on an accurate estimate of your consumption. The higher the estimate, the higher your DD. If you have arrears on your energy account these will also add to your monthly DD. Work out for yourself whether you DD amount is justified. If it isn't challenge it. Eon next advise using twitter or Instagram to try to sort out these matters - they're up 24/7, so you can still reach out to them.