Very high bill? Comparative advice please

Level 1
    We have a 3 bed flat circa 1900 sq ft in central London. Am concerned EON bill seems huge or we are on some wrong tariff. Would appreciate any view from Community or EON.

The EON bill 23rd Dec to Jan 22nd 2022 has come in as:

£165 for Electricity
    £172 for Gas
    £337 total

It was similar level for prior month. We have given readings which align with their estimates.

Is c£320 per month excessively high, even for Christmas etc? We have a gas fire and usual Christmas tree lights but seems OTT charges.

Tariffs we seem to be on:
    Gas:
    Next Flex
    20.77 p/kWh 23.31 p/day

Electricity:
    Next Flex
    4.19 p/kWh 26.12 p/day

Any advice appreciated! I cannot believe we should be on c£3,000 for Electricity and Gas per annum.
  • 5 Replies

Level 1
    @RNG
    Does seem a little bit high, we're in a 5 bed detached house in Suffolk (1800 sq ft), our bill for roughly the same period was
    £107 for electric
    £82 for gas
    £189.53 inc the VAT

Weirdly despit us also being on Next Flex, I see your rates are ever so slightly less than ours too :(

Our house is quite modern (13 years old), so it's quite well insulated, but we do both work from home so it's usually being heated throughout the day to a steady 19 degrees.
    Plus we had the usual christmas lights on tree, outside the house etc, 4pm - 11pm.
    Level 1
    @oindypoind
    Many thanks for the reply. Good to have a benchmark, albeit yours seems almost 50% of ours!
    Our flat also c1900sqft and is probably 100 years old but in a red brick mansion block which *should* have some insulating effect.
    Working from didn't help but that's happening less now so will see what happens for Feb bill, fingers-crossed!
    Glad our rates themselves don't seem crazy ... I took them from the online account yesterday so maybe yours will improve soon :)

Be good to see if EON has any comment as it's costing a lot at the moment ...
    Level 3
    @RNG surely you have the gas and electric tariff figures the wrong way around?

And why can`t you stay up to date on spending through your smart meter.
    Last edited by UKDave51; 31-01-22 at 22:06.
    Level 1
    @UKDave51I think he must have them the wrong way around, 4p is about right for Gas not electric. If only! :)
    Head of Community
    Hey @RNG

Tricky to say/compare usage but always good to get an idea of what others are using.

It's probably worth someone taking a look at your account in depth just to check everything is ok with the meter reads and billing, one sneaky incorrect read can cause chaos!

The quickest way to get this help is to send us a direct message on Facebook or Twitter as our digital teams are available 24/7, 365 days a year to help you out.

If social media isn't your thing then feel free to send me a direct message on here with your account details and I'll see what I can do, it just may take a little longer as unfortunately I don't work 24/7, 365 days a year 😁

Thanks

Hannah - here to spread positive energy