Smartview 2 forgotten PIN - what to do?

Level 1
    Hi, The title says it all - I've tried 0000 1111 9999 1234 - none of which work. Can anyone tell me how to reset it because I need to know what the m3 to kwh conversion is for Gas so I can check usage properly.
  • 2 Replies

Level 78
    Hiya!

I'm theunknowntech, a forum volunteer who travels around the internet. I don't work for anyone in the energy sector though, so I can only offer general advice.

I used to have this particular IHD back in the day - branded as an SSE Smart Energy Tracker or SSE SET for short - but eventually gave up on it after it stopped working properly. I've since been upgraded to SMETS2 so it's no longer useful to me anyway.

With that being said, there's actually no PIN for that IHD which is relevant to you as a customer. The only purpose of that PIN would be for some pretty deep level stuff which is meant to be locked out under normal circumstances. You actually have to do a specific action to get even close to where I think you've gotten to. To help prevent other issues though, I won't be revealing how to do that as it can result in the IHD getting bricked if you're not careful. There's also no way to get the Calorific Values out of an IHD to perform conversions either - that's actually done by the supplier. Was there someone who told you otherwise by any chance?

What I can do however, is provide you a the equation which can do m3 to kWh. If memory serves, it's:

m3 × Calorific Value × 1.02264 ÷ 3.6 = kWh

You can ask customer service for the Calorific Value for your area. Alternatively, if you can figure out the National Grid Data Item Explorer, you should be able to extract it from the data over at https://mip-prd-web.azurewebsites.ne...Explorer/Index .

If you're having trouble with your IHD, I can also try to help you diagnose and possibly fix the issue. I'm pretty good at doing that for almost anything with IHDs except PIN Recovery or other security related matters.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @svenno888
    Hi,
    It's around 11kwh to 1 m3 of gas. It varies by supplier and where you are in the country because the gas has slightly different calorific values here and there. There should be a conversion lurking somewhere in the small print in your gas bills as well. Good luck.