API access to smart meter

Level 1
    Hi, I'm looking to get programmatic access to my smart meter data but all my searches have been fruitless.

Ideally I'm looking for an API endpoint with current usage figures, but information on how to access the data locally would also be beneficial.

Has anyone got any leads?

Thanks!
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 1
    Best Answer
    @EmeraldClaws You can pull data from both GeoTogether (via the IHD) and from Bright (direct from the DCC). The GeoTogether data is real time but the Bright data (Glowmarkt) is half hour delayed. Hildebrand are intending to launch a SMET2 CAD (USB without display) which will supposedly give MQTT data directly. You can get the API information by Googling Glowmarkt API.
    I used node-red to get the data from GeoTogether but my IHD has stopped working.
    Level 78
    Heya!

I have some bad news I'm afraid. For security (and probably legal) reasons, there is no way to access your Smart Meter or its data data locally outside of the In-Home Display or using the menus on the meters themselves, and there is no direct API access to them either. The best you can do is use the CAD functionality of your IHD with an existing service that supports it - but there's hardly much out there right now.

Failing that, your best options might be services like GeoTogether, Hildebrand Glow, Bright, Loop or the Samsung SmartThings integration with Chameleon Technology.

With that being said however, if you have the right skills as a developer, you might be able to develop your own integrations that can retrieve Smart Meter data via DCC using the DCC Other User role. I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that and it's beyond my skills to help with this. But if you're willing to put the time in, that could be an option to at least retrieve something.
    Last edited by theunknowntech; 16-01-22 at 14:22. Reason: More info regarding developer options
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Thanks for getting back to me! It's a shame about the lack of availability of what I'm sure is personal data.

Fortunately GeoTogether (My IHD manufacturer) has an app and the API that runs this has been documented so I'm able to pull live data via that.

Thanks @theunknowntech!