Energy usage data API

Level 1
    Hi, does anyone know if there is an Eon Next energy usage data API available or planned? I'm trying to get my smart meter energy usage pulled into my Home Assistant setup.
    I have a Chameleon IHD3-PPMID which displays my energy data. I have tried setting up the Chameleon Smartthings integration in smartthings on my phone, and although I managed to link the two, my energy usage shows as zero.
    Trying to get the smartthings device data into Home Assistant requires some work, but theres no point as the data isn't there.

Therefore it would be easier if I could use Home Assistant and integrate with an API directly, but I can't find any info as to whether an API exists or if Eon Next are planning on making one available?

Thanks
  • 3 Replies

Level 78
    Hiya! I know a little bit about Home Assistant actually. Not a huge amount as I don't use it myself, but my friends have mentioned it. I have also attempted to use that SmartThings integration in the past, it didn't work well at the time and I eventually gave up. Maybe it just takes longer to fully activate than you'd expect? There's probably a few user guides on the internet if you Google them.

I'm not supplied by E.On or E.On Next myself and I have no connections to them at all outside of being on this forum. However, I'm not sure if it'd be something that would be on the radar anytime soon. If Beki stops by, she might know more though.

As for your IHD, if it is just the Chameleon IHD3-PPMID, then I'm afraid it has no CAD features and can't be used at all for the purpose you're after. You'd need either the Chameleon IHD3-CAD-PPMID, Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID or another CAD enabled IHD for that functionality to work. Alternatively, an external CAD device would do the trick... Assuming you can even get one...
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Hey thanks for the quick reply! After looking into IHD devices, like you say, its not going to be possible with my current device unfortunately.

What I have managed to do instead, is to integrate with the HildebrandGlow API in my Home Assistant environment, after connecting up my smart meter to their DCC connection.

I can now see energy consumption and costs on a 30 minute basis within Home Assistant. They do offer an IHD CAD which uses MQTT which would give real time near instant readings, like my current Chameleon device, but the MQTT data would also feed into Home Assistant, so that is can display on a dashboard and can be integrated into automation or notifications etc. Lots of reading and head scratching but it passes the time:)
    Level 1
    Thanks in huge part to @SDSDSD's post that I now have my Electricity & Gas metrics in Home Assistant.

I took a slight different route using HildebrandGlow API (rather than MQTT) to feed data to the HandyHat/ha-hildebrandglow-dcc HACS addon and that's been successfully feeding data to HA over the past couple of days.

You'll have to use Hildebrand's "Bright" mobile app to sign-up and register your SMETS device with them but in turn you'll get an API key to your data feed.

PS: I can also confirm that the most recent version of HA, 2022.12.0 fixes an issue whereby the Gas data wasn't able to be imported; it can now.

- ethzero