Possible Faulty Smart Gas meter?

Level 1
    Had smart meters installed on Monday, job finished around 2pm, now it's over 48 hours later.

Electric meter is fine and reports to the IHD. Comms hub looks fine SW, WAN, HAN and GAS all flash every 5 seconds.

Issue is with the Gas Meter. When you press A to read the meter, the LCD display is fully black, then comes up with the message Battery Door Open and then goes into a service menu. Which has options such as Event Log, Battery Change, Leave HAN, Flush Meter, Test Valve etc. You can't leave this menu.

Gas readings also don't get reported to the IHD.

Sometimes you can be lucky and be able to see the meter readings. But sometimes when you see the meter reading it quickly goes to battery door open and then stuck in the service menu.

Electric meter is Landis+GYR E470 Type 5394
    Gas meter is Landis+GYR G470 672

Name:  IMG_20220110_221323.jpg
Views: 9097
Size:  35.8 KB
  • 11 Replies

Level 78
    Howdy! You've reached theunknowntech diagnostics hotline. How may I be of service today? :D

Hmm... I've not really seen that error very much. Long story short though, I'm afraid that gas meter is dead and will probably need to be replaced. I'll see if Beki is around, as she might be able to help you make the arrangements.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Howdy! You've reached theunknowntech diagnostics hotline. How may I be of service today? :D

Hmm... I've not really seen that error very much. Long story short though, I'm afraid that gas meter is dead and will probably need to be replaced. I'll see if Beki is around, as she might be able to help you make the arrangements.

Thought that be the case. I've managed to get in contact with Eon next and they have arranged a engineer to come round in two weeks time.

Interesting enough if you press slightly on the battery cover, the message clears and goes into meter reading.
    Last edited by bucket; 13-01-22 at 22:07.
    Level 78
    Yeah, that's definitely a fault then. I've told my friend Blastoise186 about it and he said he has never seen that one before. You have our thanks.

By design, there's also no way for you to get at that battery as well. It's partially an anti-tamper measure, but also technically a safety feature. The only way to fix it is to take that meter out of service (at least temporarily), diagnose and fix the issue and then put it back into service in the future. There's no way to fix something like that in the field.
    Level 1
    Just a update. Engineer came round last week.
    Took the anti tamper seal off, unscrewed the screw, removed the battery cover and then resealed it.
    That solved the issue and can now do a manual meter reading off it and still works a week later.

Only issue was, he wanted to swap the gas meter over. But he couldn't as the WAN was down, he waited a couple of hours and apologized as the WAN was still down.
    He said give it a few weeks and the IHD might start displaying figures from the gas meter. Otherwise contact support and left.

One thing I've noticed by press A twice and then holding B. It brings me to a menu and one of the options is to Re-join HAN. Is this something to be concerned about? On the Comms unit the gas light flashes with the other lights every 5 seconds, so it appears to be paired.
    Level 78
    Erm... You shouldn't have access to that menu...

In theory, if you leave the meter alone for a while it will eventually cancel out of that menu and go back to sleep. I'd recommend against accessing that menu again if possible, just to be safe. There's probably nothing in there you can use and accessing it can sometimes trigger tamper alarms.
    Level 1
    So just had my first electric reading sent from the smart meter on the 6th February.

Still waiting on my first gas reading... But this is where it gets interesting, just noticed someone read the meter (Meter Reader) on the 2nd February and placed the reading under the old "dumb" meter which became inactive on the 10th.

Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 6102
Size:  36.9 KB
    Level 78
    It may take up to six weeks for the first reading to come through following the installation. Gas meters tend to take longer to fire up than electric meters do though, especially if you had a delay like that battery door issue. Hang in there for a bit longer and keep an eye out for now.
    Level 1
    Me again, so 5 weeks have passed. IHD still says Gas Supply Disconnected.

MPRN number is all 0's on the gas meter.
    Name:  IMG20220308203848.jpg
Views: 6370
Size:  24.3 KB

Last contact was the 10/01/2022, which was the time and date the engineer was commissioning the meter.
    Name:  IMG20220308203933.jpg
Views: 6133
Size:  22.6 KB

Signal strength on the gas meter.
    Name:  IMG20220308203940.jpg
Views: 6176
Size:  23.8 KB

Any ideas? I think I know what is coming.
    Level 78
    Hi @bucket ,

This doesn't look right at all to me. I think your meter has failed to commission properly, as it should otherwise know the MPRN for your supply and will need further investigation. Let me catch a wild @Beki_EONNext with my Master Ball. :)