Price

Level 1
    Hello
    how many times do you think the price of Gas will go up in 2022.
    i think two times but that might be a bit conservative.
    thank you
  • 17 Replies

Level 78
    Hi,

The answer to this question is actually a bit complicated and it's difficult to provide a single answer that covers all bases. However, this is what I know as of December 2021.

At the moment, the OFGEM Default Tariff Cap is reviewed twice per year (based on six monthly reviews), roughly around February and August, which any changes taking effect the following month, currently around March and September. It's possible that the rules might change in the future, such as potentially doing quarterly reviews but that's not happened yet. The Default Tariff Cap only applies to Prepayment Tariffs, Standard Variable Tariffs and Deemed Contracts though. It does not apply to Fixed Rate Tariffs because you would have specifically chosen the tariff yourself.

The Default Tariff Cap can go up as well as down though, so if the gas prices on the open market significantly drop, this can be accounted for in the next review.

In the background though, the prices on the open market actually change constantly, potentially even so far as several times each day. You don't normally see that level of fluctuations though, as it's hidden from the energy market that you can access as a customer.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 29
    Hello
    how many times do you think the price of Gas will go up in 2022.
    i think two times but that might be a bit conservative.
    thank you
    Hello to you too. Thank you for raising an important question. However, by the price of Gas, if you mean in your query, the price of 'wholesale' Gas, then one needs to analyze and estimate the factors of supply and demand during 2022, and one can narrow down a couple of likely scenarios that may manifest themselves during the course of the next year. Demand is easier to estimate, namely that the state of the economy and time of year, however supply may be adversely affected by climate change (namely severe storms) and on a human level - the problem with Putin (not you my friend!)
    Level 1
    Speaking of tariffs, there wasn’t much choice this time round.
    Lots of talk about positivity I’m reading.
    I suppose that’s all they can do! or is it!!
    Level 1
    Talking of tariffs there wasn’t much choice this time round, lots of talk about staying positive I’m reading.
    I suppose that is all they can do…up the price and talk positive…or could they do more?
    Level 29
    Talking of tariffs there wasn’t much choice this time round, lots of talk about staying positive I’m reading.
    I suppose that is all they can do…up the price and talk positive…or could they do more?
    Yes, of course they can do more! Go here to see what more they can do!
    Level 1
    Lack of investment…. Blame it on HS2!! These projects are not our problem, it’s our health care and welfare system that’s the cause, as it keeps this country poor.
    Just think if that money was redirected into our towns villages we would be in such another place, life how we live would be so much better.
    But know we plough all this money in to what….picking up the pieces.
    And it will never get better until we change this system.
    Level 29
    Lack of investment…. Blame it on HS2!! These projects are not our problem, it’s our health care and welfare system that’s the cause, as it keeps this country poor.
    Yes, I agree and I am sorry I overlooked the healthcare and NHS crisis, although I did hint at it because the COVID crisis is an integral part of the health and care crisis, however you quite rightly pointed it out in its entirety, that we faced a health and care crises even before COVID struck, that the NHS is a black hole that sucks the countries resources and is virtually unquenchable. This is because ordinary working class peoples health and lifespan are dependent on the NHS and peoples' lifestyles (dietary and exercise) are not uncommonly conducive with the optimization of health and well being, along with other environmental toxins and pollution, as well as the overuse of drugs etc., adds up all the ingredients to potentially compromise one's health; and don't get me started on mental health issues also🙄
    Level 1
    @Landmark
    Thank you for the reply…Yep, that’s about it.
    Such a shame, this country would be in a much better place! And now those very things that keep us from making better are now Worshiped!
    Level 29
    @Landmark
    Thank you for the reply…Yep, that’s about it.
    Such a shame, this country would be in a much better place! And now those very things that keep us from making better are now Worshiped!
    Too right Putin, the Chancellor Rishi Sunak is now focusing the blame on China because China is demanding more gas than ever now (which is supplied by mainly Russia I think)
    According to Martin Lewis, the price cap is likely to go up again in October 2022 by 20% over and above the 54% increase for April 2022: Rishi Sunak is therefore gambling on the price cap reducing again in 2023; that's why he decided on loaning/levi-ing £200 off peoples electricity bills for October 2022 only to be paid back in instalments over 5 years at £40 per year, with no exceptions/opt outs allowed! However, if Vladimir Putin (knowing we can't really afford to defend Ukraine) does the unthinkable, it will create a whole further shed load of poverty and hardship affecting all but the most rich in Europe just after we spent all our reserves and more on the COVID crisis🙄

Eon Next Customer