Crazy spending £130 a WEEK electricity

Level 1
    Hi all

I just want to ask if anyone else is having the same issue as me, i have moved recently to a flat on a prepaid meter, however my previous property was prepayment too averaging out 160 a month for gas an electricity.

The problem i'm having here is that 120-130 pounds a WEEK for electricity ALONE every week this is driving me crazy and having to borrow money, as this is not a smart meter, i am having to come back from work to top up when the wife calls me to advise the electricity went off. the issue my wife is physically not well, and we have 1 3 years old and twins at the property so she is unable to go out and get top with the 3 kids and her physically not well.

I am getting no support or responses from Eon next, they are only contactable by Email, everytime i dial the number it says you are not authorise to call this number.
  • 24 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Hmm... That sounds like you've probably got either the most expensive tariff in history, or your meter is gobbling up a ton of credit to repay a debt (which you probably don't owe).

Anyway, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm theunknowntech and I'm a forum volunteer who helps out here. I'm also a friend of Blastoise186, a forum volunteer from elsewhere who's been helping me sharpen my skills over recent months. He's given me a few tricks that can help with these things, so I'm hoping they work.

I'd like to ask you to do a couple of things for me. Firstly, please could you post some photos of your meter(s)? This helps me to identify what you have, as I have to adapt my advice accordingly - especially on Prepayment meters!

It sounds to me as if there is either a phantom debt which needs to be wiped out - and a refund issued for the lost credit - or something's gone badly wrong with the meter. If it's OK with you, I'd like to ask you to do something called a Creep Test. The idea of this test is to help figure out if there's any obvious faults with the meter. Based on what you've said, I feel it's worth a try. As long as you're OK with the power being off for a few minutes, this test is pretty simple to do. If you'd rather not do it though, that's perfectly understandable - feel free to let me know if that's the case and I'll try to think of other options.

Before you get started, I strongly recommend only doing this test during daylight hours for your own safety and you may want to have a torch handy just in case. Please also make sure to safely shut down and turn off any sensitive electronics and gadgets like your computers, TVs, games consoles, Wi-Fi Router, Smart Home gadgets and anything else that might be affected by having the power suddenly go off. You can leave the fridge/freezer on though and keeping a couple of lights on is helpful so that you know when you're done.

If you're happy to go ahead, here's what to do. These steps might sound a bit tricky as I generally copy/paste them directly from what Blastoise186 gave me, but they should work.
    1. Locate the electric meter and fuse box/consumer unit
    2. Take a quick meter reading and note it down - you'll need it later
    3. As you're on Prepayment, please make sure you've got some credit and you're not in Emergency Credit - otherwise it can disrupt the test. If you don't have much left, now is a good time to top-up!
    4. Turn off the power to the entire house using your consumer unit - it'll only be for a few minutes so don't worry about being off-supply for a long time
    5. Observe your electric meter for about five minutes. the red metrology LED (or the spinning disc in older meters) should stop completely and the meter should not clock any usage after the first 30 seconds or so
    6. After five minutes, take another meter reading and note it down
    7. Turn the power back on
    8. Compare the two readings you took at the start and finish of the test

If the meter is not faulty, the two readings should be about the same. However, if they're massively different and/or you noticed the metrology LED (or spinning disc) continue to run and/or the meter was still clocking usage despite the power being off, then there's almost certainly a fault with the meter itself. In this case, you'll want to request a Meter Accuracy Test. It'll cost around £160 upfront and you'll get this back if the meter is confirmed to be faulty, as well as having the meter replaced and a refund issued for the lost credit once E.On has managed to figure out how much it's thrown into a black hole. Please bear in mind that the test fee is not refunded if the meter is found to be working correctly. With that being said, if it failed the Creep Test then that's already a very good sign that the meter probably is faulty - the MAT is still required to make it official but doing the Creep Test first might save you wasting £160.

Hope this helps. Let me know the results of the Creep Test and I'll try to advise further.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    altho not the OP ,just to say thanks for your reply, sounds like a sensible thing to try
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech

Thank you for your support with this seriously, i have tried this but not sure what the issue is anymore, i turned the switch off which is by the meter as its downstairs and not by the fuse box.

I only managed to see this thread today, i work in DHL and its been so busy with deliveries mate, apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Eon asked me to take a pic of screen S but that has 00000 all over it.

Today i made a top up of for £60 as the £40 which i made on Monday evening is already finished can you believe that ???

Level 1
    @theunknowntech Thank you for your support with this seriously, i have tried this but not sure what the issue is anymore, i turned the switch off which is by the meter as its downstairs and not by the fuse box.

I only managed to see this thread today, i work in DHL and its been so busy with deliveries mate, apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Today i made a top up of for £60 as the £40 which i made on Monday evening is already finished can you believe that ???
    Level 1
    Good advice from TUT above.
    I would agree that those weekly costs are ridiculous and need urgent investigations.
    I spent many years getting often large refunds for my business clients from utility companies and it often took much effort to do so. You have to assemble all the info and work away at it.
    Level 78
    altho not the OP ,just to say thanks for your reply, sounds like a sensible thing to try

No worries. I like to try and recommend solutions that are tried and tested, but which also don't cause other problems or incur unnecessary costs. You'll be surprised how effective the Creep Test is by itself! Smart Meters are generally significantly more accurate than Traditional Meters and they tend to have self-calibration and self-diagnostics built-in to help maintain accuracy more reliably. But even then, nothing can beat a Creep Test followed up by a Meter Accuracy Test. :)
    Level 1
    @IanW

Thank you Ian

Seriously this is driving me insane, yesterday afternoon i made a top up of £40, i went to check what the situation is today with the Black hole i have as a meter to my surprise it was in credit of only £13.32 this is not normal not even in a grocery store as i have a friend who has one and he has 3 fridges that are on 247 and his bill comes to 300 a month.

Level 1
    @theunknowntech

Just a quick update i done the test again and made sure it is done on via the fuse box turned that off but the meter stopped flashing and the numbers matched after 5 min.

I have also emails Eon Ceo desk and unhappy email address.

No idea what to do now, yesterday i made a top up at £40 in the afternoon, today i checked my blackhole and it is showing £13 remaining now that is not normal rate at all.
    Level 29
    @theunknowntech Thank you for your support with this seriously, i have tried this but not sure what the issue is anymore, i turned the switch off which is by the meter as its downstairs and not by the fuse box.

Hi there.
    Based on your account, after following instructions given by TUT, I urge you to open an official complaint as soon as possible; the sooner the better.
    When you have got round to all of this, please keep us informed here how your case is progressing.
    We are here to help you with any further steps to take in order to resolve this problem.
    In the meantime I should wish you well in dealing with this.
    Kind regards