Smart Meter Fitted. Not sending readings and no in-house display

Level 78
    @jamjar @Queenie Hi,

I'm in exactly in the same situation - was told I was getting a smart meter installed, but I keep having to send meter readings and I have only just learned I should have been given an IHD. I don't know what a comms hub is but I don't have that either!
    Confusingly, I keep getting emails and texts from Eon-next to have a smart meter installed - I have tried for the past couple of days to make an appointment online but the system does not allow it (it has 4 steps and goes back to step 1 after 3?!)

So I don't know what I have installed, but there is nothing "smart" about this situation!

Hi! Could you post some photos of your meters here please? I can use those to double check exactly what you've got and hopefully figure this out.

Thanks!
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 3
    @robinhouse Hi,
    The whole situation is a complete mess! A 'comms hub' by the way is the box, which usually sits on top of or close to the electricity meter. It is the communication system which sends messages internally and externally from your meters to your IHD (if you had one) and to E.ON NEXT.
    Some of the email conversations I have had with customer services have been frankly ridiculous - some, not all, of the personnel are clearly incompetent and haven't a clue. Either that or they are so overwhelmed with the number of customers they have to deal with within their time frames that they haven't got time to read the emails properly. Whichever way you look at it, there are serious problems and issues with this supplier that need to be addressed by senior management. Customers are encouraged to contact the complaints department or the CEO if they are not satisfied but apparently many are reporting that these contacts are just ignored.
    Am I to understand then that you don't yet have your smart meters? You would only get an IHD when you have smart meters fitted with a comms hub. It sounds like someone is not reading your account details correctly - a common occurrence in my experience.
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech Thanks for your help! This is a pic of my electricity meter (it's just electricity, no gas). It says "Landis" on the top right corner (covered by the blue and brown cables in the photo). Can you tell whether this is a smart meter (not acting very smart!), or just a regular one?
    Name:  electricity-meter.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  42.6 KB
    Level 78
    Ok, I have some good news and some bad news for you. The good news is yup, I can definitely solve this puzzle in under 10 seconds flat. The bad news however... Is really bad news...

I can confirm that you do NOT have a Smart Meter, nor one that is capable of being converted to a Smart Meter as-is. That's a Landis+Gyr E110 Type 5235A if memory serves. It's just a bog standard single-rate traditional meter, with literally nothing smart or otherwise special about it, so it's impossible to fit a Comms Hub onto that meter, let alone an IHD. The only way to make it Smart is to do yet another Meter Exchange for an actual Smart Meter. I honestly wish I could have said otherwise, but what you've shown me here is extremely... Disappointing... I will flag this up with Beki in case she can help get this resolved.

Just to make things even worse, that particular meter seems to have a certification stamp of 2014 on it... So it's literally not even brand new! Surely it must have been obvious to the engineer that it wasn't a Smart Meter though... Right? Especially since you could hardly even get them back in 2014

Admittedly, this is also a perfect chance for me to show off the skills of my friend Blastoise186, but here's some examples of what actual L+G Smart Meters look like. But if you compare those with yours, you'll very quickly see what I mean. This will also explain why you're still getting the reminders as well.

It also looks like your main fuse is missing a tamper seal or two. Please don't tell me that last engineer forgot to re-seal it?!?!?! Either way, for your own safety please don't touch any of that stuff, or you may be in for a rather nasty surprise, it'll definitely be rather shocking, that's for sure. 😁
    Last edited by theunknowntech; 16-01-22 at 15:40. Reason: minor correction
    Level 1
    Wow, shocking. The whole situation is unbelievable, I'm not sure I want to deal with Eon Next again to have the meter changed yet again - I managed to get it changed from prepaid to credit when I bought the house but that was not smooth... I'm starting to think nothing is with this company! I think I'd rather switch suppliers and then get the smart meter I was promised months ago.

@theunknowntech @Queenie Thank you so much for your time to answer my questions! I really appreciate your help.
    Level 78
    No worries. I'm just glad I managed to figure this out. If it hadn't been for your photos, diagnosing your issue would have been a lot more difficult.

If you need a hand with anything else, feel free to let my know. I don't have any connections to E.On at all outside of being on this forum, but I can almost always at least point you in the right direction.
    Level 3
    @robinhouse Thanks. Pleased if I helped at all. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my installation to be completed to my satisfaction. I haven't researched the efficiency levels of other companies but if what I hear about gas engineers in this forum is anything to go by there are safety regs being breached. Not a good sign.
    @robinhouse Hey there Beki here 👋

I have had a look at both your previous appointments and the engineer has popped notes on there stating that you have no WAN coverage which would explain why you have not had a smart meter installed. Without WAN coverage your meter would not be able to connect to send us meter readings.

Unfortunately this means that at this moment we won't be able to fit a working smart meter in for you. To save future communications being sent out to you, I have adjusted your communications preferences.

I'm really sorry that the engineer didn't make you aware of this at the time of the appointment...it's pretty pants if I'm honest!
    Level 29
    I'm really sorry that the engineer didn't make you aware of this at the time of the appointment...it's pretty pants if I'm honest!
    Sounds like Eon Next have a duty to remonstrate the contractor who will in turn discipline the engineer for not honoring his obligations😞
    @Landmark I have sent this for feedback to the engineers. Communication is key in everything. 😊