Smart meter installation guidelines

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Hi

The engineer has arrived to fit my smart meter but I have been told that before this can be done I need to pull up the bush in my front garden. I only have a small front garden and this is the main thing in it! Is there any guidelines that need to be followed for a smart meter to be fitted I.e space required as I’m reluctant to wreck my garden unless necessary

thanks
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 29
    Best Answer
    Hi

The engineer has arrived to fit my smart meter but I have been told that before this can be done I need to pull up the bush in my front garden. I only have a small front garden and this is the main thing in it! Is there any guidelines that need to be followed for a smart meter to be fitted I.e space required as I’m reluctant to wreck my garden unless necessary

thanks
    In the SMICoP guidelines it states in Chapter 2.8 (l) "safe access, (and) working conditions (and) access to the meter will be required", are required for the smart meter fitting to go ahead. Go to SMICoP - Portal to check these out for yourself.
    In short, the onus is on you, sadly, to clear your lovely bush. Perhaps you can substitute it with a large outdoor pot plant from your local garden centre after your new smart meter(s) are fitted; just a thought😏
    Level 78
    Hi,

I can probably figure this out, but I could do with some photos of your existing meter and the areas surrounding it - especially that bush. Feel free to edit out any personal info or anything else that's unrelated though. I just need to see the part of the garden where the current meter is.

I get the feeling you've got a semi-concealed gas meter, which can make things a little more tricky. It's not impossible to replace such meters with smart meters though, but special fitting kits are required which can be difficult to acquire and you can't purchase them yourself.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!