Upgrading pre-payment Electric meter to SMART

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    I currently have a standard gas meter but a pre-payment electric meter. I would like to convert both to Smart meter, but I have been told that I have to have the pre-payment electric meter converted to standard before this can be done. Is this correct ?
    And reading a few of the comments on this forum, is it really worthwhile upgrading to SMART meters or are the more hassle than they're worth ?
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 17-06-23 at 08:20.
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Technically not true. Both meters can be upgraded to Smart Meters and then have each of them individually configured in either Credit Mode or Prepayment Mode as appropriate. There's no need to convert the type first, at least not that I've ever heard of unless you're planning to switch both supplies to being on Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go anyway. But even then, the upgrade could just be done first and then have the meters switched between the modes afterwards, or convert the existing meter to the other type and then upgrade.

It is worth having Smart Meters in general, because they definitely can work pretty well and are generally more reliable than older types. Even if one supplier keeps struggling to make them work properly, that doesn't mean all suppliers are struggling. There's also a really good website which explains more, which you can check out at https://smartme.co.uk . I use it a lot as a resource when helping out on forums, since it answers a lot of questions that I sometimes get stumped on.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Community Manager
    Good evening @Flash Anasa here 👋 I'm just checking it to see if you're still thinking of having a prepayment smart meter or if its something that you went ahead and done? I can see that you were considering this a little while ago and would be interesting to see what you have decided to do or where your journey went with this.😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 1
    Hi Anasa. I gave up in the end after being told so many different reasons why I couldn't have a smart meter. The last reason I was told was that they couldn't go straight from a prepayment meter to a smart meter, they would have to fit an interim meter before the smart meter could be fitted.
    As a field engineer myself in a different line of work that sounded like a good old fashioned fob off to me.
    On top of that a lot of situations I've seen cropping up with the smart meters leaves me thinking that I'm better off as I am.
    It it ain't broke, don't fix it - as we engineers say !