New house no gas

Level 1
    I bought a house a couple of months ago. It has an Eon Next prepayment card meter. Today I put £10 on the card and put it in the meter. It took the card and said something like "£7 for debt, £3 for gas. However the gas does not seem to have come on. Pressing button A reveals that there is a debt of £27 (I cannot see why that should be the case but will look into it when Eon is open for phone enquiries). What do I need to do to get gas flowing?
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Ahh... That's probably not your debt so it'll need to be wiped from the meter. If the debt was from someone else, then you don't owe it and will be entitled to a refund as well. It's extremely common for this to happen if someone moves out and the meters aren't topped up for ages before someone new moves in.

To get the gas back on, try holding down A when you see a screen like "Press A for Gas", then let go when you get "Release A for Gas". That should do the trick in most cases. You may need to insert the card first, ideally with a top-up that brings enough credit onto the meter to get it above £5 credit balance after deductions.

I'd suggest giving customer service a call to see if they can assist. In the meantime, please keep topping up at the same shop as there'll need to be a bunch of messages transferred between the meters and E.On via your electric key and gas card, in order to grab all the data. Four top-ups at the same shop is usually enough for that. Likewise, to get debt recovery disabled once this is resolved, a further four top-ups at the same shop should be enough to get the meter to pick up the messages needed to disable the function.

Sometimes it's less than that, but I always say four because that seems to be enough to cover almost all activities. Remember to pop the key/card into the meters after each top-up too! You can in theory do all four top-ups on the same day, but you don't have to if you'd rather not.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    @Gasless Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the Community however this is a query that would require us to look at your account and potentially get an engineer out to you. Would you be able to send a message across to us on Facebook (@eonnext) or Twitter (@eon_next) and someone will be able to look into this tonight for you? 😄

Sending positive energy to you,
    Beki - Digi Ops Team Leader & Sustainability Enthusiast

Everything & everyone powered by sustainable energy. 🌍