Incorrect estimated usage - inflated payment requested

Level 1
    I live in a small 2-bed retirement apartment using storage heaters and my current standard variable E10 tariff.

I have had an alarming message stating that my monthly direct debit is to be increased to just under £600 from December and I am exceedingly worried.

The annual estimated usage on my bills has suddenly rocketed to over £6,000 per year and I don't understand why.
    My July and August 2021 bills showed an annual estimate of £1,224.60; my actual daily average consumption was 14.47 kWh per day
    The September 2021 bill shows an annual estimate of £1,190.87; my actual daily average consumpton was 6.98 kWh per day
    My November 2021 bill shows a whopping annual estimate of £6,284.96; my actual daily average consumpton was 13.14 kWh per day
    Since May 2021 I have used 3,481 kWh over 270 days which equates to an average daily usage of 12.9 kWh - equivalent to an annual usage of just over 4,700 kWh
    Standing charges come to just over £84 per year so an estimated cost of £6,000 per year divided by my current average use of 4,700 kWh per year means you propose to charge me no less than £1.28 per kWh.

This is clearly wrong and needs to be resolved swiftly.

Another issue is that the rates being charged on my bills are the wrong way round - in the "Your charges in detail" section the rate quoted for day and night consumption are the other way round to what is shown in the "Your electricity tariff" section. The charges section shows a day rate of 14.39p per kWh and a night rate of 23.09p per kWh; the tariff section shows a day rate of 23.09p per kWh and a night rate of 14.39p per kWh. The tariff is showing the correct day and night rates but my charges are not correctly reflected and the bills are not correct. The only correct thing about my bills are the meter readings!

In the meantime, I do NOT give you permission to increase my direct debit which should remain at the current payment of £146.63.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly that you have adjusted my estimated annual usage to something that is more realistic and I thank you in advance for your prompt attention.
    Last edited by Ashleyman; 27-11-21 at 10:14.
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 29
    Best Answer
    In the first instance get onto Eon Next customer services by Private Message on Twitter (Join if you are not already a member; it's worth it, trust me).
    Give them a chance to investigate this to your satisfaction.
    Look forward to hearing how you get on with this.
    Best wishes to you.