Smart meter and tariff change threat

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    I keep getting texts as follows;

"as part of your current tariff you agreed to have smart meters fitted. Click the link below to pick a date and time that suits you. If you don’t agree to have a smart meter fitted we may have to change your tariff and this could mean you end up paying more for your energy."

I've also had emails.I didn't sign up to have a smart meter fitted when I changed tariff, the terms said I may be offered one and I don't want one. I tried to ring but got fed up of being on hold. How do I stop this?
  • 14 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    @enduser & @Tinbum - When you have chosen a fixed tariff, within the T&Cs there is a section that states "Agree to have smart meters installed - By choosing this tariff you agree to a smart meter installation, where eligible."

There are so many benefits to having a smart meter fitted. My personal favourite is the environmental impact that having a smart meter fitted has on the planet - especiallly with COP26. With smart meters comes a smarter energy grid, helping us to be more precise about the energy that everyone needs and reducing CO2 emissions by 25% in the next decade. Wonder what would happen if everyone in the UK upgraded to a smart meter? It would have the same environmental impact as planting 75 million trees. A year. That's something to smile about.

Sending positive energy to you,
    Beki - Digi Ops Team Leader & Sustainability Enthusiast

Everything & everyone powered by sustainable energy. 🌍
    Level 1
    I keep getting texts as follows;

"as part of your current tariff you agreed to have smart meters fitted. Click the link below to pick a date and time that suits you. If you don’t agree to have a smart meter fitted we may have to change your tariff and this could mean you end up paying more for your energy."

I've also had emails.I didn't sign up to have a smart meter fitted when I changed tariff, the terms said I may be offered one and I don't want one. I tried to ring but got fed up of being on hold. How do I stop this?

I have exactly the same problem. I did communicate with EN some months ago and received an email telling me that these messages would stop....... they did for a while but they have just started again !!

I think that these messages are a form of blackmail, and defiantly harassing, and stressful. Eon-Next should be ashamed of themselves.
    Level 29
    Beware of technophobia💻
    How about writing to your MP and suggest they stop promoting smart meters. It comes from the top down.
    However, this wouldn't work if most constituents support the use of smart meters.
    Utilitarianism, democracy or market forces, the public gets what the public wants.
    Next it will be smart everything with the advent of the 5G network.
    Level 1
    Your terms say you may offer me a meter and then say if I refuse I may not be eligible for our full range of products and services.

I've already been offered the fixed tariff, you have accepted that and I have been put on it. We have a contract. Nowhere does it say that you can remove me from that tariff because I haven't a smart meter. It also doesn't say that I am on a smart meter tariff. You cant say you may not be eligible for a product after you've given the person the product.

On signing up for this there was no mention anywhere that this fixed term deal required a smart meter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Level 1
    @bekig

I dispute your statement about "When you have chosen a fixed tariff, within the T&Cs there is a section that states "Agree to have smart meters installed - By choosing this tariff you agree to a smart meter installation, where eligible."

I was offered about five different tariffs and I deliberately chose the one that made no mention of having a smart meter. My error was that I did not take a screen shot of that tariff. As I had already had this debate with EON before they were swallowed up I didn't thing that I would need to.

Anyway, moving on, I think that I may have stopped the threatening emails and texts, but this morning i received a letter saying much the same. The letter is in an extremely small font and very pale text. Is there anyone, or anyway that I can stop the letters.

This is blatant harassment.

Level 29
    @enduser So the moral of the story goes; always thoroughly research your tariff before selecting it. The reminder letters are just that, and part of the means to try to persuade peoples to do the right thing and go smart🤓
    @Tinbum Why don't you trust new green technology; it can save you money and even save the planet🌍
    Level 1
    @ Landmark. You have no idea, keep your comments to helpful ones. I have PV, I have Solar thermal, I have lead acid and Lithium batteries and have had most of that for 10 years. And I am building a Pasive House.

Smart meters are for the suppliers and not the customer unless you go for an intelligent tariff.
    Level 1
    Hi All

Having a meter does not necessarily save money (or the planet)

I suspect most people view the meter as a novelty and after a while stuff it in the draw. It does send meter readings back so so Eon are happy.

The best way to save electricity is fit LED bulbs (I suggest warm white with a colour output of 2700, you can buy 3000 but they are whiter, 6000 is the colour of a very bright white LED street light which I don't suggest). Buy high efficient appliances when you next buy, turn things off that you don't need and only boil what you need in the kettle i.e. not full. Screwfix offer 5 LED BC 2700 bulbs for £7.15, which is £1.43 each.

To save gas turn the temperature down a notch and only have heating on when you need it. If we do go away I turn the hot water heating off and the central heating down say 3 degrees.

Gazing at meter may help understand what is using what - but what do you do about it if you have already covered most of your options?

Regards

Mike
    Level 6
    There are so many benefits to having a smart meter fitted. My personal favourite is the environmental impact that having a smart meter fitted has on the planet -

Unfortunately, part of that impact is scrapping an existing meter that could well have decades of functional service-life left as WEEE. Prematurely replacing it with a newly manufactured plastic/electronic unit and an extra in home display box starts you off with a carbon/environment debt to clear.

From what I have seen the projected environmental benefit is mostly based on the display being a prompt to encourage people not to waste electricity by seeing a change from turning things off/down in the half-hourly snapshots the display can give, when it's turned on. For already energy-conscious households the scope for such waste-cutting is already limited.

Those figures in 'trees/year' also seem to rely on assuming coal and gas continues to be used rather than renewable generation replacing it, and don't make much mathematical sense. In Year 2 the benefit would be equal to the net carbon-sequestration of 150 million trees, by Year 4 300 million, and so on, with each tree increasing the amount it will absorb each year as it grows... but no real trees are involved. It's all supposed to be achieved by the smart meters.

Have you a .pdf or similar showing the working?