SmartMeter data in SmartThings app

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has uploaded their smart meter data to the SmartThings app? Seems to be independent of EON. I set it up over the weekend and it looks quite useful, the data only seems to be yesterday's data though. I'm used to managing appliances in the app but never had the option to add energy before, would be good to have the automation feature based on energy too.

B
  • 10 Replies

Level 78
    Ah yes, that'll be the Chameleon integration, which I have heard of. It is definitely independent of all energy suppliers and it's primarily run by Chameleon Technology in partnership with Samsung SmartThings. The way it works is primarily similar to how all the other apps like Loop or Hildebrand Bright work and they're currently not able to grab real-time data right now. I think it can do automations though if you dig through the device settings for the smart meter in the app.

A friend of mine actually recently made a guide on the topic. I thought it might be helpful, so here you go. He knows more about it than I do, but I chat with him a lot.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    I've tried it when it launched and it wasn't working for me, showing 0 usage.
    Level 78
    Yeah, it's a bit unstable. Me and my friend both tried it out and we didn't get any luck either, so we eventually disabled it. The instructions in his guide will tell you what to do if you want to completely opt-out. It's important that you follow them carefully, to ensure that Chameleon fully disconnects your smart meters from their platform.

Try giving it a few more days though, apparently it does work for some people.
    Level 6
    Is there a limit to how many external "readers" you have of your smart meter data?

I signed up for loop today and that seems pretty good, checked usage figures for yesterday and last month against the IHD and it got the figures including cost dead on. I like how you view the data quite easily compared to the IHD and most definately compared to the eonnext website.

On a side note, Eonnext don't seem to be able to get meter readings for me yet loop got the 13 month history in about 2 hours.
    Level 78
    In theory, it's probably unlimited. But in reality, I honestly don't know. If there is a limit, it's probably high enough that most people won't notice, but I'd still recommend against going too extreme. Not least because disconnecting these services can take a while in some cases - not least because that service has to do stuff like remove their encryption keys and do a long process to fully disconnect from your site.

Each reader (ones like Loop or Chameleon fall into the DCC Other User Role) has their own access permissions, encryption keys and connections that are independent of the others, except for the fact it all goes through DCC. This can sometimes allow one user to retrieve data from a particular site even when another is struggling. Smart Meters also retain 13 months of data before it starts to get overwritten (the oldest data is deleted first), which is useful for various purposes such as fixing billing issues or resolving disputes. It just takes a while if you ask the meter to dump literally everything in one go.

Me and Blastoise have never got lucky with these services, but we think it might just be unique circumstances related to our sites. But that's not so bad in a way...
    Level 1
    Im thinking of using the smart app but wonder if i will be able to see the AMP use? I have no gas or oil facility and total AMPS will be important.
    Level 78
    Unfortunately not I'm afraid. Smart Meters don't usually send that data anywhere and even the IHDs don't report how much current is being used, so there's no way for any apps or integrations to retrieve the data either.

By the sounds of things, you may want to consider upgrading to a Three-Phase Supply, as this will give you more capacity to run things like electric heating without blowing the 100A Service Fuse out as easily. Three-Phase will give you a total of 300A capacity spread across three Service Fuses, so that you can split the load up across them, so that this isn't an issue. You'll need to discuss this with your supplier if you'd like to go for it.
    Level 6
    I'm starting to think that triple phase should be made standard in new house connections.

My heat pump has 45 Amp fuse (I think its max draw would be around 35) a 7kw carger would be 32 Amp just turning the kettle on would be another 13 Amps and if I want my tea when I've got the iron on...
    Level 6
    @NinjaTurtle I didn't think it was working for me either. If I look at rhe device "Smart Meter" it always shows 0. When I went to Life -> SmartThings Energy the data was being recorded there.